Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long where you guys together, or known each other before you got engaged and or married?

I was just thinking on this......a co-worker just got engaged and they have only been together for 6 months...had not met before then.

Is it possible to 'know' in that short of a time?

I suppose it's different for some and they are togehter for years before hand....just wodnered what you guys think about it...

Just curious.... 8)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
We were engaged after we met for 6 months. We have been together 3.5 years. So we had been engaged for the last three years.

We never dated. We believed in courtship rather than dating (religious reasons).

Personally, I believe that people shouldn't date until they are ready to commit. I am a fairly conservative Christian, though.

My fiance needs to make a trip to Taiwan to meet my family before we get married. That could take awhile. Hopefully we'll be married this summer via Justice of the Peace.

·
Registered
572 Posts
David and I had known/been together 6 months before moving in together. We got engaged on our 1 year anniversary, then married 3 years later.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My David and I dated for just a shade under 4 years before we got engaged in March of 1991. The original plan was to get married in either June or July of 1992, but I got pregnant, so the wedding was moved up to July of 1991 so I could be put on David's medical insurance since I didn't have any.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
I met Jeff around June of 2003. We starting dating around the end of November of 2003 and just got engaged 2 days ago! So we dated a little over 2 years before getting engaged. :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Definitely over two years of dating (not including the 8 months of a very good friendship BEFORE we dated) before he proposed....nope, not bitter (even though he DID buy a brand new car FIRST). ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
We knew each other for 7 months before we got engaged. We were married 8 month later. We're approaching our 15th anniversary, and we're still as happy as a pair of honeymooners.

I guess we both met the right person, knew it immediately, and never looked back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was young (young and foolish) just out of high school. We dated for a year, moved in together for 11 years 8O got married and have been married for 7 years. So basically we have been together 19 years.

Since we have been married we have had nothing but problems......my husband and I are talking about divorce. Sometimes things just don't work out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My fiance and I have known eachother for 11 years (went to school together since 5th grade when he moved there). I sent him secret admirer letters to tease him because he was the new kid, and he claims to be forever scarred by them :). We then 'went out' in eighth grade for a week before I dumped him for his best friend (who I 'went out' with for 2 days). He swears he's loved me since the secret admirer letters :D

We got together our senior year in high school and have been together for almost 5 years. We've lived together 'officially' for 3 of those 5 years, but probably haven't actually spent the night away from eachother for 3 months total since we started dating.

We've been engaged a little over 3 months and will get married in June. We knew that we were soulmates within a few months of dating though, and if college hadn't been a factor we probably would've gotten married pretty quickly. If you know, you know :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My husband and I dated for six months before we got engaged. We got married 8 months later, and are still married. He said it was love at first sight. It took me a little longer, but I truly love him. We've had ups and downs, but have never seriously considered divorce. We've gone though a lot together, but we have always come out the other side. We both take our vows seriously.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My husband & I met when I was 14 & he was 17. I was 17 & he was 20 when we got married... that was almost 28 years ago, our anniversary is on April Fools Day. :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I met my husband in June 2000, had nothing to do with him (never even saw him) until mid-August when we started hanging out and watching movies together, moved in a week later, set the wedding date over Thanksgiving, and were married Aug 4 2001.

Technically, I suppose I didn't "move in" until December, as I had my own place, but I never really went home again. :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tim and I started dating in May and knew by August that we were going to be together for the rest of our lives :) We were engaged on September 21 of the same year. We waited a year to get married, though: October 1 of the following year. Bliss, bliss, bliss, bliss, bliss.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suppose this doesn't really apply to me as I'm not married or engaged, but we've been together for 5 years, and don't plan on getting married for a long, long time yet, if ever. Each to their own I know, I just can't help thinking that marriage is jinxed...it's awesome if it works out though, a true love story.

My boyfriends brother has been with his girlfriend for 2 months and are marrying this summer...I certainly don't understand why they are rushing into it this quickly...it's wonderful getting to know someone without the stress of a massive white wedding. :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have known my husband since high school. but we didn't start dating till much later. we were actually only dating for 2 weeks when he left to move to FL, we were apart for 2 months, and then i moved down here too, and we moved in together. We got engaged about a year and a half into the realtionship. and got married on our 2nd annivarsary as a couple. we have now been married 9 months.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Erik and I were together for 6 years before we got engaged...but we knew we were going to get married at the beginning of our relationship. We grew up together and were best friends for a while before we started dating...I knew I loved him before it was "official."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts