Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought collars for my kits. They are somewhat outdoor, they live in a large heated shed (for their use only) but can go in and out as they please, should I keep their collars on 24-7 or take them off at night? Is it ok to leave it on at night? Would it be a bad idea to take them off at night?? Thanks:blackcat

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Agree with Mitts & Tess! Also magic word "Reward" doesn't hurt either!! ;):D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they're breakaway collars, I knew about those and pretty much all of them at the store were breakaway anyways xD
24/7, good to know! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I tried collars on my two but they always came home minus collars, after losing 7 I gave up.
Oh man, I can soooo relate! Except I can't give up! My girls are indoor/outdoor. The are locked in from sundown to sunup, but they MUST wear a collar with a tag!

After about a dozen collars between all three of them, I have found a combo that seems to be lasting... so far. I have a nylon collar that has a segment that is elastic to if caught they can slip their head out. I have cut the excess out of the buckle so there is only a little tiny bit that sticks out. The idea is nothing (excess collar) for them to grab a hold of and pull to help them slip out of it.
The other thing is no dangling tags. They have tags you can slide directly on the collars. Its enough for a name and a phone number. and the word "chipped". Suits me.

This has lasted the longest and no one had ditched their collar yet, and it has been about 3 months.

The breakaway collars are great, but they can pop them so easily, and as I said, mine must have a collar and tag or I freak out!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Cat face, "Chipped" is a Great Idea! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts