Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question

I was feeding canned sardines to add some Omega3 oils in my cats' diets, but recently, sardines have been on sale at the supermarket and I cannot find the unsalted kind to save my life. So, last night, while at the asian market, I found packs of raw anchovies, cleaned, but not marinated or salted so I bought 2 packs for $3 ea. I am thinking feeding 5 anchovies per cat per week should be good, but I am not 100% sure about making this switch. I found a site which stated that sardines contain 1.4 g of fish oils while anchovies only .4 g per 5 fillets. So that would mean about 5 anchovies per cat / week. Any other problems anyone knows about feeding anchovies to raw fed cats? I don't want to feed too many anchovies at one time and risk them having digestion issues. I guess I could also increase the anchovies to 2x/week, but does anyone actually know how many grams of Omega3 fish oils an average weight cat requires?

Egypt

I was about to start reversing her raw fed meal as of last night. It was Azalia's birthday and I fed them scraps of the meat I was preparing while I was doing it...I figured she deserved it since it was her special day. Since I had some odd numbers left over, I decided to feed them a raw meal for dinner. They ate it fine, but this morning, I saw Egypt chocking again while she was sleeping beside me, and when I got up this morning, found vomit near the litterbox. So...I guess the doctor was right. Egypt cannot tolerate digesting raw that late at night...go figure!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't know much about different types of fish yet (still puzzling out omega 3 requirements myself and going to ask my vet about it on Tues) so I can't help you there.

But it's interesting that Egypt has time-sensitive eating issues. It seems bizarre but I know there are certain things I can't eat early in the morning. Didn't know it could happen with cats too, but that makes sense!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saitenyo,

Ooooh ooooh, can you update us about the Omega 3 requirement your vet recommends? I am trying to google this and not finding much...thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Saitenyo,

Ooooh ooooh, can you update us about the Omega 3 requirement your vet recommends? I am trying to google this and not finding much...thanks!
Will do! I have a massive list of questions to ask him since the necessity (or lackthereof) of supplements is my biggest confusion so far (I know a lot of raw recipes recommend at least fish body oil if not actual fish once or twice a week).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts