Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these two nutcases for less than a year. There are various things that each one likes to eat that I'm beginning to worry about.

My calico in the past few months has started ripping off strips of cardboard from various boxes. They vary in size, and sometimes she finds a strip of tape with cardboard on it. It seems as though she does this usually when she wants me to wake up, but I've seen her doing this at other times too. Lately she even takes a particularly hearty piece with tape and carries it around. I'm starting to worry that she might be swallowing bits of cardboard or ingesting glue from the tape.

My other cat really is convinced that the drawstring for various blinds in the apartment are actually delectible treats. He is not able to swallow them, but he spends an inordinant amount of time licking and gumming them.

Lastly, I bought a toy that dangles off of the top of a door. It's a yellow piece of plastic that is firmly attached to the door, from which hangs a yellow elastic-ish string with a squeaky mouse at the end. My cats are wholly unimpressed with this toy in its supposed normal state. But when I untie the yellow string from the door, they go nuts and chase the string all over the place. I never leave the string unattended, but even when I use this as play therapy, they often have the end in their mouth, and then the elasticity kicks in and it flies out of their mouth. I'm concerned mostly about the effect of the studden whipping out of the mouth.

Should I worry about any of these?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I would use yarn or similar items ONLY during interactive play. Cats can swallow yarn, string, icicles from the Christmas tree, etc., and get a blockage.

As for the drawstrings or cords for drapes and blinds, they are extremely dangerous for babies and animals. I found my white cat, Creampuff completely tangled in the drapery cord about 10 years ago. She couldn't even cry. Strangulation, of course would not have taken long! I unwrapped her, and tied that cord so she couldn't do it again. It's one of those things we don't often think of, but it could save your cat (or a child's) life! I'm so glad you asked!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
What I've been told to do for my gerbils is to not give them anything that can't dissolve in water. For instance, clothing and anything else with insoluble fibers (like coconut, believe it or not). They can cause real damage to their tiny gastrointestinal systems. For cats I bet it is the same kind of thing. Cardboard I think is okay because it will dissolve if left in water (and thus is okay to give to my gerbils). Just a guess though :oops: .
I do have a concern about the elasticy-thingy though. I was talking to a vet the other day that commented that puppies often get broken teeth from playing tug-o-war. I'm sure the same could happen with cats. So as long as you are not pulling really hard on the elastic and do not let them play with it unsupervised, it would be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts