Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I posted before about Greybee dying yesterday but we have a question. Last Saturday Greybee was brought to the vet because she was biting her fur off her tail and near her tail on her back. Usually the vet gives her pills to take for a few days but this time they gave her a shot. Well that next day is when we noticed her not breathing right and breathing really heavy. She was brought in that Monday again cuz her breathing got worse and the vet said she had pneumonia and they wanted to test her for that FIV or whatever its called. They had to wait for the kit to do this test and when they got it they said she was weak and couldn't do it yet. Do you think maybe the shot did this and they aren't saying anything? This is really bothering me. She was perfectly healthy but just had the biting off her fur thing. The last time she had that the vet said it was cuz her skin was itchy and she was biting at her fur to get the itch. It just doesn't seem right that the next day she is sick and that when she had this before she had pills and was fine and then the whole FIV test. I would think a vet would have this kit handy and not order it and wait a few days for it. I mean a few days of waiting can cost a cat its life. It's just not sitting well in my mind that something could've happened and they aren't saying.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Have you maybe gotten another vets opinion on this too? It may be wise to do that especially if you don't really have much faith in your first vet. I hope your able to find the answer your looking for. <<))

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm sorry I have not had the chance to read your former threads on this problem. But I wanted to say a few things, and hope they can aid you in some way.

The FIV test you are refering to, probably the Feline Lukema Test (Feline AIDS) should be done as soon as you get your cat, on the very first visit to a doctor. If you have any cats at home, it's highly recommened you get this test done before you even bring the new cat around any others.
All vets should have this test on hand, we use a device called the snap test and takes only a matter of minutes to get the results back. Not only is FeLuke contagious, it for the most part is also deadly. Cats whom have it need more than just routine care.

If in doubt, get another vets opinion. Even if your current vet has always been helpful to you, they should welcome the idea of you going to another vet for a second opinon and provide you with any files, lab results and x-rays needed to pass along.

My main concern is, have they told you what Greybee's problem was? Did they explain to you what pills it is they have been giving her, how they work, and any possible side effects? This is something which should be explained to you every time your cat under goes any type of treatment, be it your yearly vaccinations or blood work results, etc.
There are some circumstances when it's best to get your pet immediate care, even if it means going to the Emergency Vet, certainly new or worsening breathing problems is one of them. Your vet should have told you to come in as soon as you told them the problem, or referred you to a near by emergency clinic. Specially if it's a new problem possibly caused by something the vet did or gave, it's vital that they get you in asap (meaning THAT day).

I think it would be best to call them back, leave a message with the doctor if he/she is not availble and find out what injection was given, and if it could have possibly caused this problem. At the very least find out the name, and perhaps one of us might know more about it, or could reference you some information on it.

How often did you give those pills? Did they say what type of "itch" problem it was, did they not give you any topical solution or bathing product for her? Patients come in with skin problems all the time, so it's really hard to say anything further as the causes are so varied.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
The cat is not mine so I don't know what was said. The only thing I know is that the vet gave a shot because the cat was picking her fur out from her skin being irritated and itchy. She was brought into the vet when my bf's mom noticed her breathing problem. She didn't wait. I posted another thread on this you might've missed reading it. Greybee was very well taken care of by my bf's mom. She had all tests and shots for her cats. It just seemed odd to me that a vet would order this test when they should really have it in their office. It really isn't up to me to butt in to their vet records and ask questions to the vet. I have no right calling her vet about her cat. That's like me calling your dr asking questions. My bf's mom is too heart broken to find out this info. She is just that type of person. SHe doesn't want to know if something bad happened. I can't make her do anything so that is why I thought I could ask on here and maybe someone could possibly help out as to why a vet wouldn't carry this kind of test in the office. It possibly could've been another test and my bf's mom is just mistaking it for something else I really don't know. I know FIV is not curable so I think she is right on the test they were gonna do. I don't know the name of the pills but i do know they helped her out. I don't know why they just didn't give her these pills again and gave the shot instead. She takes VERY good care of her animals and takes them to the vet regularly. She's been going to this vet for YEARS and never had a problem with him. As a matter in fact, I just started takin my cat there and he is an excellent vet with my cat. My cat had an abcess and he treated him and he is doing great now. He is up to date with all his shots and checkups. My cat never really cared for the vet that much but with this vet he is very calm and just lays there for him and purrs. Maybe cuz he gets treats from the vet lol. I'm just glad that Greybee isn't suffering from her pneumonia anymore. It's just too bad she only lived for a few years. She was a very good kitty and I will miss her!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts