Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night I brought home a new cat. Her previous owner lost her job and needed to rehome her. She is about a year old, spayed, full-blood persian. I set up my utility room as her safe room; however if you entered the room she would come to you, trill and roll on the floor. She just wasn't interested in leaving her base. This morning, she ventured out and explored the main parts of the house (I kept a few doors closed for now) and then she sprawled out on the floor in the room I was in. She did charge my dog but so far there has been no altercations. The dog is a 12 shih tzu and has always lived with a cat until this past year so he's been very respectful, approaching just for sniffs but backing away if she growls (which she does).

Now my food questions: she was on Purina Indoor dry. I've always fed dry, but want to switch to canned. I was at Walmart a week or so ago and did pick up a couple of cans of Newman's. I put a generous tablespoon out for her, which she licked but didn't eat. I'm also keeping her old food out for now and will gradually change to a better dry if she absolutely refuses the canned. I will also pick up other cans of food; we do have a Petsmart so I can get some decent brands. How long do I keep out the wet before taking it up if she doesn't eat it? Also, do I need to feed the canned at room temperature? and if so, if I'm refrigerating the uneatened portion of the can, do I let it set out until it warms to room temperature or feed it cold?

I know about transitioning to dry although I normally just feed one brand to my dog. With regard to rotating canned food, do you feed a brand of canned food for a period of time, then transition to a new? or do you not worry about transitioning if you are rotating between several brands all the time? I'm a little confused (obviously).

Grooming: being a persian, she needs quite a bit of coat care. I did comb her yesterday and she was fine with it, but she has a mat on her chest and apparently isn't comfortable with my using scissors on her yet (she growled and I stopped). Should I push the issue or continue to comb her otherwise and leave the mat for now? She also needs her feet shaped (hair sticking out terribly), but was also offended by my trying to snip some of them off as well. Maybe I'm trying too much too soon?

Any advice would be appreciated. She is quite vocal (I love that as I've always had Siamese) and trills a lot. I just want to make sure I'm starting out the best way for her.

She already seems smitten with my son (he's 21) and came out of her safe room to search for him when she heard him get up this morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never had a problem with 9 lives canned food. every cat I've had loved it. if she won't eat it after it's been refrigerated try heating it up in the microwave. be sure to mix it up after to avoid "hot spots" that can burn the mouth and tongue. heating it up will create an aroma that may make her more interested in it. if not she just may not like the flavor or brand.
if she has a mat in her fur it should be takin care of. mats in fur if left alone can and will continue to grow, and they will become painful. sounds like your right it may already be causing her some discomfort.
i had a stray given to me who has a coat like a Persian. she also had a mat on her chest. she didn't want no one touch her anywhere near it. i held her as my hubby shaved it. she fought at first but after the mat started to release she started to lick the air and then licked my husbands hand after it was done. she was much more relaxed after it was gone too. it wasn't our first time having to shave a cat so we knew how to do it with out hurting her. if your not comfortable doing it yourself take her to a groomer or vet to have it done.
sounds like she picked her human (your son) and she will eventually come around more often. she is just trying to figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just transitioned my 6 month old to canned, and it started out pretty much the same way you are describing. He was addicted to his kibble, and would take a lick or two at the canned but was never very interested. The first thing you should do is get her on a feeding schedule. I would put Banjo's dry food out 3 times a day for about 20 minutes or until he had his fill and then I would take it away. This way, I knew when he would be hungry. Then, i would offer him canned instead of dry. The first way I got him to eat it was to mix it with a little bit of water(i called it his "soup"). The food should be as close to room temp as possible. If you have kept it in the refrigerator, microwave it for about 5-10 seconds. Make sure you stir it up and feel with your finger, because it gets very hot in spots while still cold in others. He seemed to like the soup better than the pate texture, but he still wasnt crazy about it. It took a lot of trial and error, but I finally figured out that he doesn't really like the pate-style, and he has brands that he prefers over others. His favorite is avoderm. It has chunks of meat in gravy instead of the pate. Now I just mix the avoderm with the others that he is not so fond of, and he gobbles it up! I rotate/mix on a daily basis. I use EVO, Blue Wilderness, wellness, and avoderm. He gets avoderm everyday since that is what I mix the others with to get him to eat it. If you leave the dry out for your kitty, she isnt going to be interested in the canned. Its ok for her to be a little hungry, that will be her motivation to eat the canned. Here is a link that someone else posted that really helped me out:

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Tips for Transitioning PDF 1-14-11.pdf

The best canned foods are the grain-free, and stay away from fish.

I don't know much about grooming, but I wouldnt mess with scissors. Mats get extremely close to the skin and its a big risk cutting them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts