Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been looking for a place to talk with others who have cats, and also take care of feral cats. I have a 20 lb Maine Coone mix that I adopted 8 years ago who is indoor only, and I also take care of a beautiful gray and white tuxie who I named "Baby" 5 years ago...I T&R'd her and after the shelter told me she was not "adoptable" I brought her back to my home to live with us....My husband and I love her, but I'm wondering if she'll ever want to get closer to feel real love??? She's meowing at me a lot , and is always here. We have a huge house outside for her with insulation which she sleeps in every night...any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Feral cats generally don't get the crucial socialization period during their first 3 mos. of life with people. It's during that time that a good breeder/owner will socialize them, by gently handling them every day several times, so they get used to being picked up and set down, sitting in someone's lap being petted, know that they shouldn't wriggle to try to get away, learn to ready body language of other cats and people, come when they're called, tolerate grooming and having their nails clipped, tolerate a carrier and car rides. A feral cat may always be wary or standoffish, some may eventually overcome it as they age and if they are always treated with kindness and respect may become more friendly, even lap sitters. The fact that she's "meowing at me a lot, and is always here", is a good sign that she wants to be friends and trusts you. So she may be one of these lap sitters some day.....sit on the floor, she may like that better than if you're on a sofa or chair. We love updates! All the best!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a feral momma at my barn but she is now behaving like a lap cat. She also had three kitttens that were feral for 8 months and have now been adopted. I have no idea why because other cats are just as wild as can be. She and her kittens began by following me around, so if the cat does that there is a good chance. I began petting them while they ate, sitting down next to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts