Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, my one year old male cat Kodak was diagnosed with struvite crystals recently. He WAS on a 4 meal a day plan, one meal of dry in the morning, and wet the rest of the day (for 3 more meals). I had him on wellness core for the dry, and Merrick brand wet food. When he showed crystals after scaring us half to death with what we thought was a urinary blockage, we went to a full diet of soupy wet food, and a regimen of sub-q fluids before bed. As soon as the fluids were out (we only had 10 doses) his symptoms returned within 48 hours.

Back to the vet again, and the urine sample was still showing signs of blood and crystals. The vet thought it best to put him on prescription food. Science Diet C/D. I KNOW that food is crap as far as what's in it. I mean the first two ingredients are wheat and corn, and THEN chicken by-products. Problem is, He LOVES it, more than any wet, and well, he's not having symptoms at all, and he's not getting fluids anymore. He's now getting SD for breakfast, wet twice a day (Chicken soup for the Soul brand), and SD before bed.

I guess my question is, are there high quality dry foods out there that will help lower the urinary PH so the crystals break down that I can put him on? He's a kibble nut, and doesn't always eat all of his wet food, but he about mows me over when I head for the food bin. I looked at Royal Canin's prescription diet dry for urinary tract, but good lord, 28.00 for a 6.6 lb bag. I paid 60.00 for a 16lb bag of the SD, and even THAT is way out of my budget. I want him to get better, and my vet seems to think, that because he's so young, it's a hereditary thing, and he'll need to be on a prescription diet his whole life. It's just been frustrating, with 3 of my babies being sick all back to back, the savings I had is dwindling, and I'm scared that I won't be able to budget a good high quality dry food in for him.

I've tried a supplement you add to wet food, he hates that, and my vet mentioned a weekly injection I can do at home that can help as well, also something that will lower his urine PH to help him break down crystals. He goes back in for a recheck on Monday, so I guess I'll ask more questions about that then. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

·
Banned
602 Posts
If he is doing well on the c/d, I personally would keep him on it. Better he feel better and not having to make constant trips to the vet. It might save you more money in the long run.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Yay, that's very informative. When I go back with him on Monday, I plan on bringing up the injected supplement. If that fixes our problem, I'd rather do that and have him on a good grain free food, over SD. I have no problem giving him injections, considering I've been giving him fluids on a nightly basis for the past few weeks. My vet suggested it would be more inexpensive to do injections than supplement anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts