Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a new user. My husband and I are owners of Velcro, an amazing 15-year old "black & white tuxedo" cat. She's been diabetic for the past 2 years, and has done well, but her health does seem to be deteriorating.

I hope that none of you will be offended by this, but we have discussed preserving her skeletal remains like you see dinosaurs in museums. My husband saw a pet cat who had been preserved this way (which was kept in a small clear acrylic box), and it was very interesting, as well as sentimental.

I wanted to ask if anyone here had any ideas on WHERE I would go to get something like this done, when Velcro passes away.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
the cremation service we use at the clinic I work at has several options for when pets pass on. the website is www.goodshepherdpet.com and you can see some of the things they offer.

I've not seen anything with the actual skeleton, but have seen several places that freeze dry pets. I personally don't like the idea of it, but the biggest reason is that more than likely by the time your kitty passes, she will be in less than perfect condition. That's not how I want to remember my pets.

I had my last kitty Addison cremated and have a "memory glass" (seen on that website) with his ashes. Its beautiful, but honestly not very sentimental to me. However I have a picture, his collar and a clay imprint of his paw together in a shadow box and STILL cry sometimes when I look at it.

Whatever you end up deciding on, its very good that you are thinking about it now, when your emotions aren't playing into it. Its SO much harder to make these decisions in those final moments and even worse to think "what if" after it is too late.

In the end you'll always have your memories, and those are probably going to be more precious to you than anything else!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
The profession that does this sort of stuff is called taxidermy, so I suppose you could look in your Yellow Pages under taxidermists or taxidermy. Doing a cat might be an interesting project for some taxidermist who's getting mighty tired of mounting fish and antlers. :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I think you'd have to ask an expert from a large museum. Have you considered taking her to a taxidermist instead? I prefer to bury my precious bridge kitties, but if I wanted to preserve one, I'd be more interested in her appearance when she was alive. This is something you have to decide, of course.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Someone mentioned this idea and I liked it so much, this is what I want to do.

I plan to have my kitties cremated and then buried with me when I pass on....hope there is room for me in the casket. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is how I am going to remember Duchess. I had a custom oil painting done of her. Paint Your Life did a remarkable job on a painting. I sent them a photo and they had an artist paint a portrait.
http://www.paintyourlife.com/

The picture I sent.

The oil painting they sent. I asked them to put her outside. Great job. Cost $75.00 :D

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I've just ordered a colour pencil drawing of Toby from that Paint Your Life place. What a lovely way to remember your pet :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
My mom saw a news article a while back where they would put your cat in like bronze or some metal in a position you wanted. She kept threatening to have her cat Fiki bronzed and use her as a door stop. (Fiki's still kicking at 13 ...) I doubt she'll go through with it. But it's an interesting idea, to bronze them.

They will also cremate your family members or pets and make them into diamonds. If I had known about that, I would have had my beloved Smokey made into a diamond. It's a bit pricey, though, but I think it's a lovely alternative to regular cremation or burial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got an answer

Hello everyone,

Thanks for everyone's feedback. How to preserve your beloved pet is a a personal decision, and everyone seems to have such great ideas.

I wanted to let you all know that I just got the answer I was looking for:

There is a company in Oklahoma City, OK called Skulls Unlimited. They mount skeletons for several museums and universities. They also do personal jobs of pets. I spoke with a really nice customer service person who said that people send their pets to them all the time. On their website, www.skullsunlimited.com under the "Skeleton Articulation" section, someone has had their dog mounted, complete with collar on, slipper in mouth...it's very cute.

I'm sure that this is how we want to remember Velcro. It's 1. interesting, 2. educational/informational (and will be interesting to use as reference with my 2 other cats), 3. different. The only downside that I can see is the cost. Because it's museum-grade, you're paying for it. $650 (I also got an $1,150 quote from a local taxidermist!)...I would much rather go with the museum professionals anyway! :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
The painting of Duchess is amazing. For $75 that might make a great Christmas present.

Velcro, I think your choice is very special. Let's hope that you don't have to use it for a long time.

edited to fix the fact that I got Duchess' name wrong :oops: .

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think I saw an episode of 'Dirty Jobs' (Discovery Channel) where they went to Skulls Unlimited. They did awesome work. Very interesting how the process works.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I remember seeing a horse when I went to a Body Worlds exhibit... and a bird I think. Don't know that I remember anything more domestic but I'm sure it'd be possible.

However, the whole process seems to be done by only the Body Worlds people and I think you sign over all rights to them.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I trust and pray that Arianwen will live at least another 18 years. But when she does pass on I'll either go with burying her and making a little memorial, or a memory glass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts