Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to convince my ex husband that our three remaining cats need to be on better wet/dry food. We are currently feeding them Friskies wet/dry. I know that when a new food is introduced, it should be done gradually. Is that with just wet food, or do you do it with dry food, too? I'd like to get them on a no grain wet/dry food that will at least not smell so bad when the cats eventually use the litter box. I know that for a truly better smelling poop, they need to be on a raw food diet, but we're doing the food change gradually.

If anyone has some really good recommendations and prices, I'd really appreciate it. And for the Southern California residents, if you know of any good places to go the get better quality food, I'd love to hear it. We live in Montclair (San Bernardino County) and my ex works near downtown L.A., but works in the field (travels from downtown L.A. to El Segundo, West L.A., etc.)

Thanks guys! You're the best. :smiles

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As far as wetfood, I like to feed lots of different brands and flavors so my cats won't get used to any one kind (or if the food is lacking in a nutrient they won't suffer for it). It also helps because I will buy more of the brand that is on sale than the ones that aren't on sale (I shop at Petsmart most of the time, so there are lots to choose from). I went shopping yesterday, and I can tell you the approximate prices but I'm not sure if they will be the same out in California. I got Nutro $0.99, Wellness $1.50, Blue Spa Selects $1.30, and I am testing out some cans of Authority $0.75. Whenever I am near Trader Joe's I've been picking up several cans there too for about $0.60. Most of the foods I listed are not grain free, but they are pretty good quality if you look up the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The wet foods I've been most fond of so far are Wellness and Merrick. I was feeding Blue Wilderness but they only sell it on 3oz cans and it costs almost as much as a 5oz can of any other food!

I also found some EVO recently, and found it was fairly well-priced!

I was buying my food at PetCo but just discovered a local store near me sells Merrick for cheaper than PetCo (Wellness is the same price). It seems some little stores are pricier, but some have really competitive prices, so you may want to shop around.

I'm quite a ways away from you I think (over in the Agoura/Thousand Oaks area) so I'm afraid any little local store recommendations I might have probably won't help.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know that when a new food is introduced, it should be done gradually. Is that with just wet food, or do you do it with dry food, too?
I have always just switched their wet food (from one brand or flavor to another) automatically, not gradually. I was under the impression that a gradual change was only recommended for dry food, not wet. That said, my girls don't bother even if I give them a different dry food from one day to the next, albeit they don't eat much dry (about 1/8 cup per day, if that), so perhaps that's why they don't suffer any ill effects when I move to a new type of dry without any gradual change.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I was quite pleased with the EVO 95% canned. They have chicken, beef, venison and duck. The chicken and the beef are VERY inexpensive, imo.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our kitties LOVE Wellness and Merrick Before Grain canned foods, and Lily's favorite is Weruva, but Spencer won't touch it.

I am in SoCal as well, but pretty far from you. We get our food from a little 3 store "chain" in our area. It's much cheaper than at Petco. I found our store by using the store locators on different brands' websites. I recommend trying that. :) You might find a great store like we did! :) You could call around to the stores and ask for the price of a specific brand.

We've tried a few other brands, and still do sometimes, which is really easy to do at our GREAT store! :)

Oh, and as for switching foods, our kittens have NEVER had trouble switching between wet foods, but they do have issues switching between dry foods too fast. Or, Lily does. Spencer refuses to switch dry foods...oh, well.

Oh, and we do feed some dry food (far more wet, though) - and we feed Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul, but that's not grain free. Lily gets some Orijen mixed in sometimes as well. Merrick BG also has dry food. Both Orijen and BG are grain free.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I want to do grain-free wet/dry food is because both Midnight and Star have gained weight and I *know* Star is overweight. Their cute little faces are starting to get pudgy. They are also getting up there in age. Star and Lucky will be six years old on June 9th, with Midnight turning seven years old on September 9th. I'd like for them to be eating healthier as they get older.

I know that dry food isn't really healthy, regardless of whether it's grain-free or not, but, like I said, this diet change is going to be gradual. I just have to convince my ex to stick with it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes, feeding a primarily dry and grained diet will make them pudgy. Once there, it's hard to take off the pounds safely. You can't do it quick. But I'm sure you know that already.

Anyways, you've already convinced your ex about the merits of a wet diet. congrats!

For reference, I feed my two, grain-free Nature's Variety Instinct for breakfast. I rotate the flavors every day. They also get a bit of Acana dry food as a bedtime snack. Their dinner is raw.

I find with wet food, you dont' need to be gradual. In fact, it's recommended that you switch up the food so they don't get fixated on one particular brand or flavor.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know anything about proper nutrition requirements for cats. Whenever a stray has shown up in the past 35 years, I just used the cheapest stuff from the grocery store. When Midnight, the wild cat, showed up, he had no fur on his ears and was all mangy. I just started with Purina Cat Chow (for all ages). The results for him were dramatic. In a short time his fur not only returned, but it was so black and shiny, it was like silver. I was impressed, but maybe anything would have made that difference. I still use Purina as the basic staple, but he also gets his sliced deli beef in the morning, along with scraps from that days meals eaten by his humans. He is especially fond of the water drained from the tuna can and the skin from the swordfish steaks (sure, there is some of the fish included too.) I get the cheapest dog food to feed to the local foxes (Midnight's nighttime companions) and he has eaten that too. No problem with weight control since he is roaming the woods all the time. I just hate it when people spoil animals! :p

One of Midnight's friends partaking of the dog food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts