Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try mice but my girlfriend doesn't because there is the possibility of a mess on the carpet of them tearing the mice apart and trying to play with them...and I really dont want to give up my security deposit so I was just wondering what experience everyone has had here with mice and the mess involved.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Honestly, they just aren't that messy. My cats played w/ them the first few times (which isn't messy b/c they are tossing them around before eating them--once they start eating they stop playing), and then stopped. They now get right down to business.

It's a pretty simple matter to just feed the cat in an area w/ a vinyl or tile floor if you're really concerned about mess. This applies to all raw feeding, not just mice (mice are actually neater in my experience b/c they come in a fur package ;)). My cats eat in the bathroom (Jonah), the storeroom (Lincoln) and the dining room (Calvin). The first 2 rooms have tile floors; the dining room has a hardwood floor.

Some folks put the food in the bathtub and train the cat to keep it there, or on a towel or plastic tablecloth. Others feed their cats in large crates w/ no bedding. I started out all finnicky myself and then got over it. ;) But if it bothers you just find a place that's easy for you to keep clean. :)

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Well, I get that. :( I'm vegan myself (for ethical reasons) so the whole transition to raw was hard enough. Adding mice was almost more than I could bear.

But here's the thing. You're feeding animals with faces anyway even when you're feeding commercial food -- they've just been sanitized and put into a bad so you can't see them. I figure that, by feeding raw, I'm controlling the sources at least, and that's got to be better for everyone. If you live w/ carnivores, feeding meat is simply a fact of life. It makes no difference if that meat came from a cow, a mouse, a pig, a deer, or a chicken.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
:oops: Sorry ... about to go waaaaaay off-topic here.

I've had to laugh :lol: because every time I see this topic, it makes me think of Chinese Fortune Cookies ... and that now there are 'questions' inside of mice for kitty meals! :lol:
See? I told you it was way off topic! :wink

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it was meant to be on not in but I accidently hit the i key instead of the o. Her issue is that she doesnt want to see them eat the head...although I could just chop the head off...I'll need a small guillotine just for ceremony then. Oh and ended up telling a customer about raw food and she seemed very interested but my first thoughts after that were "yes join the dark side...your animals will eat raw flesh :twisted: "

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
She will eventually. Lincoln used to refuse to eat the heads -- I just let the dogs in when Lincoln was done and they, um, cleaned up for me. :) But he eats everything now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts