Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have ran out of the sand I usually use as litter, and the cat is going insane over it, really should have double checked I still had enough to last these couple days (going to the pet store on the weekend, since I don't drive and it's not in town).

Anyway, can I use aspen shavings as substitute for now?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You can certainly try, but it really depends on your cat. Some cats are very picky about their litter texture. If it feels different, they will refuse to get in. Others may not care that much. So try to get something that is closest to the usual one he/she uses, and it might help if you mix a little dirty litter into the new one, so the cat may accept the new type of litter by smell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can certainly try, but it really depends on your cat. Some cats are very picky about their litter texture. If it feels different, they will refuse to get in. Others may not care that much. So try to get something that is closest to the usual one he/she uses, and it might help if you mix a little dirty litter into the new one, so the cat may accept the new type of litter by smell.
I do want to get the sand one, but I can only do that on the weekend, and the kitten is not likely to go without his litter for that long. :p

I tried the aspen shaving and he just went in and pooped on it. So, apparently he doesn't mind it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm debating on switching to chicken feed. It's WAY cheaper, and I can get it at the store across the street (rather than across town where I've been going for litter).

My only problem is the smell. Even if I were to scoop 2+ times a day, I've heard chicken feed smells like stale corn - since that's basically what it is. My stuff (also corn granules) has pine oil in it, and I LOVE scooping because it shifts all the fresh stuff around and gets the smell activated. I tried World's Best once, and after only a week my place smelled like a barnyard (not bad, just...not really pleasant, either).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts