Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This morning I dropped my 2 babies (4months) off at the vet to get spayed and neutered. They were pretty informative but did scare me about the chances of kittens not making it out of surgery. Not something i wanted to hear!
They couldn't eat anything after 8pm last night and boy were they angry with me. Can anyone offer me advice on how to care for them when I bring them home today at 3:30pm???? I am a nervous wreck today at work! I was told they can't eat anything until tomorrow, but to have them lick ice chips and swab their mouths with syrup for glucose. Can i feed them as soon as they get home, just some dry food? They'll be sooo hungry! HELP anyone with experience!
:cry: [/b]

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your kitties will most likely have NO appetite when they come home, so don't even try to feed them. It is very important that you have water within their reach so they don't have to go far for it. Some cats act as if nothing happened, and others are really sore and want to be left alone. Since the vet isn't holding your babies over night. they're going to be very tired. Keep them off of high places because they can fall and hurt themselves.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
feeding after surgery

Most likely they will not be all that hungry, but to not feed young cats for so long seems a bit harsh!

What I recommend for my surgical patients is to offer some food around 7or 8 o'clock the evening after the surgery. Offer something very bland and easy to digest, like chicken baby food. NO dry food.

Give NO MORE than 1 teaspoon. Wait 1/2 hour. Post-op kitties often have "eyes bigger than stomachs" and will act ravenous. But the anesthesia can leave them nauseous and tender-tummied. As long as they keep the food down, they can have another teaspoon every half hour until they're satisfied. Tomorrow they can eat normally.

If they vomit, no more until tomorrow. Even then you will probably want to limit the amount they eat; maybe let them eat for 10 minutes then pick up the food for an hour or two. If one vomits but not the other, sorry kid, but they should both follow the stricter schedule so as not to cause any jealousy.

Even though spaying is a major surgery compared to neutering, I have found that the males seem to take it more personally and will act wimpier, longer. Guess we gals are just tough, eh? But of course, they'll both need extra TLC anyway!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uPDATE

Thanks for the advice. My kitties both acted very differently. My little boy Huggs was more awake and active than Heavynn my little girl. As soon as I got them home they were actually looking for food. I couldn't believe it. So I did what the vet said and got some ice chips and tried to have them lick. They really weren't interested so I then went and got the maple syrup as told. I did rub some a few times on Huggs tounge. Heavynn wouldn't even let me near her until after 8 hours of being home, so I really couldn't get any to her and she was the one who needed it most. She was so sickly looking when I brought her home. She looked so skinny and was still shaking in her back legs. She looked so "pathetic". I thought she looked dehydrated, so I was very scared when I couldn't get any water to her bc she was so frightened still. We managed through the night nevertheless and I made sure I set my alarm clock for around 1:30am sO I could feed them something for their tummies. So I fed them every hour or so a small amount and kept a close eye on them. They really scare you with that vomit getting in their lungs deal. Anyways, Hopefully Heavynn will look better when I go home to check on her this afternoon. Poor little thing.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Hopefully your little girl is back to normal by now. When Sugar got spayed, she was very very out of it and kept to herself a long time. She looked really frazzled but Twinkie was tired too but snapped out of it soon enough. I think girls just take a bit longer to heal maybe but hope she's fine now. <<))

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cats and kittens tend to recover from their sexing operations very well...and trust me, it is better for them in the long run, so good for you!!! The first few days to a week may rattle your nerves, but don't worry, they'll be up and around in no time. Just make sure they're eating and drinking, and try to limit their physical activity (no jumping off of high places, tearing around, etc.)...keep them warm, and give them lots of sympathy. If your female has a suture or stitches, make sure she doesn't try to chew on them or scratch them...they can begin to itch as they heal. Personally, I've found that males do recover from their surgery faster...the female spay operation is much more involved.

Let us know how they're coming along!

·
Registered
28 Posts
my kitten was just spayed yesterday... she wasnt moving very much for the first ten to twenty minutes after i got her home... i was holding her because my roommate had to go get a satalite collar from the vets and bring it back because kiki tried ripping her stiches out... after we got the collar on her she started walking funny and pretty much wanted to cuddle and be left alone... (no petting) around 6:30 i gave my kitten some ice soaked in water... she left the ice alone but drank the water right up.... around 7 i gave her a handfull of food and she only had a few bites then a few minutes later would get up and have a few more bites... last night i cleared a path in my room so she could get from the bed to the litterbox on the ground... she normaly jumps from my bed to the dresser to a couner top then drops to the ground in the bathroom... i think she doesnt like the feeling of the carpet??? oh well then i put her in my bed and she curled right up next to my face... trying to get her nose right on the tip of my nose... then she started purring and fell asleep... today when i woke up my baby was under the covers with me untill i actidentally bopped her on the head when i got up to hit the alarm button... then she got up and got under the bed... now shes up and going like nothing happened yesterday... shes trying to play with the ferret in her cage but i try not to let her... and shes climbing and jumping on everything... (try telling a 6 month old cat she cant play) one thing is though she still has the collar on because shes trying to bite at her stitches still... am i going to have to keep her in that untill the stitches come out in ten days??? she hates the collar and is trying to get out of it as we speak... though she now knows how to walk with it...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Nope, it's a Native American word though. Legend had it that however many years ago (don't remember) a chief sent one son east and one son west and the one that went east set up Nacogdoches in Texas and the one that went east set up Nachitoches in Louisiana. Our college played football with the one in Nachitoches and whoever won the game got to keep a huge wooden "Chief Caddo" statue for the rest of the year. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am impressed at the wisdom of the people on this forum... most nobody knows what nacogdoches is... or where it is... or even that there is a school here much less... thanks for explaining the whole cheif caddo thing... though the Native American Group here at SFA is trying to get rid of the Statue as it represents a steryotype and is not a true representation... so therefore they want to stop an 80 year old tradition... oh well... we got cheif caddo last year and its here till at least november 20th... root for us hopefully well keep it!!! ill be at the game cant wait to see us fight for the cheif... i watched it on tv because it was there last year... oh well back to the topic... kiki is fine she has begun learning how to get around with the collar but she still seems very depressed to me... she doesnt want to do anything and she just trys to get the collar off of her... she can groom and she hates baths and showers with a vengance... i wish i could take her collar off but she keeps going for the stitches... also ive read alot about how other peoples kittys looked skinnier when they brought them home... well mine has a little pooch under the incision and it looks like her stomach is just hanging there away from the rest of her body... it could just be swelling but the rest of the swelling has gone down... also the doctor told me that she had a folicle growing on her ovaries... what does that mean???

·
Registered
248 Posts
my kitten was neutered today as well. Poor thing!!! the doctor told me to give him food at 4pm today and he had the surgery around 10am. He ate a lot and drank a lot of water, well I have to give it to him, the e-collar is too big I think. I'm just worried because of the e-collar. does he really need it? he's getting crazy bangging all over the place. I'm worried he'll opened his stitches going up and down the furniture trying to remove the collar. What about the litter? the vet told me to use shredded paper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts