Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought I had. What happens to your ability to feed your cats when you lose electricity to your home and the raw food starts to spoil? Do/would you try to get them to eat canned/kibble to make up for it?

I used to live in Florida where storms were really bad at times and hurricanes were a nasty reality occasionally. Power outages had to be planned for. I now live in an area where tornadoes do come around occasionally... I just want to prepare for such a case if I do decide to go raw full time in the future (looks like I will in a few months here).

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There's a definite benefit to keeping some canned on hand for situations like that. Or dehydrated raws are another great option.

They're really expensive so it's not something I'd feed regularly, but I always keep a bag on hand as occasional crunchy treats, and it's nice if you need to feed something that doesn't need to be kept cold in an emergency.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm in Canada and it doesn't happen too often here. Never occurred to me. However if it does, I think my diet would work ok. I have them on a 1/2 raw, 1/2 wet canned diet. So if I can't get my hands on raw, they can eat the canned until I do.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If the freezer isn't full, you could fill up ziplocs/jugs with water, and then allow those to freeze. The fuller the freezer is with frozen stuff, the longer it will be able to stay frozen.

Some raw feeders that I know take their dogs camping with them. They freeze the dogs food in a bag, and put that bag in a bag full of water, and then will freeze it. The food stays good for a much longer time that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts