Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're enjoying a quiet Sunday morning here, very peaceful except for the occasional rumble of thunder... already had some decent rain, hopefully we're due for more, I haven't checked NOAA Weather yet. Here in the high desert, we need all the rain we can get... there can never be too much, unless you're in a flash flood zone, lol. We've had flash flood warnings lately too, but the cats & I live high on a hill, so no worries. :)

I love sitting on the view deck while the rain is coming down, I'm totally shielded from the rain by the wide metal awning overhead. This morning, I was joined by Phoenix, Crackhead & Bear, while Tiger ran indoors to cower under the bed after some thunder rolled, the big scaredy cat! I took some pics of the rain as it eased a bit, with Phoenix & Crackhead kicking it under two different sets of wooden stairs, the knucklehaids!!! :whistle:

Phoenix is waiting for the rain to end so she can roam the 'hood, while Crackhead is being his usual goofy self, attacking my carpet slippers whenever I walk up or down the stairs. His paw will snake out and tag one of my slippers, lol... the goofy cat! Fortunately, they're nice thick carpet slippers, so his attacks are negligible. Other shots show Phoenix enjoying some catnip, and Crackhead eventually chasing her away, that big dummy. :confused:

First shots are kinda dark due to the rain clouds, but the view is actually better in person, lol. One shot shows a neighbor's home farther up & across our dead-end street. Look closely and you'll see a huge saguaro cactus in the front yard, lol. Those things are worth a lot of money, like $750-$1000 per vertical foot if you buy one! No lie, a friend spent TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on half a dozen saguaros for his 7.5 acres, some of the cacti quite large. You get a better deal if ya buy them in numbers... the cacti are federally protected too, so ya can't just dig 'em up or you'll be in big trouble if ya get caught. Huge fines and possibly some jail time, lol. :oops:

IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3024.JPG IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3017.JPG IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3039.JPG IMG_3040.JPG

You can see how little Phoenix is only about half Crackhead's overall size & weight, but it's okay, they're just playin' like they always do, the goofy cats! Nice cracked slab, lol... no worries, it's not a foundation slab, just the slab under the awning on that side, and I don't hear the cats complaining! I actually have some crack filler for those cracks, but that task is low priority, especially on a rainy Sunday morning, lol. Think I'll grab a cuppa tea and go back out on the view deck... Cheers!!! :coffee:

P.S. That pedestrian gate on the east side of my home is perfect for the cats, they can slip right through that opening you see on the left side of the gate, lol. On the west side, we have double carport gates, with another full-length concrete slab beneath the metal awning on that side. These awnings & slabs are very nice to have, even if the slabs have cracks... new slabs would be very expensive to pour!!! So we live with the cracks... like I said, I don't hear the cats complaining, lol. :sneaky:

Registered
MooMoo, 11months
awwww so cute! Never knew some cactuses were so expensive (shame that you can't propagate it馃様). We only have some prickly pear cactuses in our back yard so we sometimes boil it down and make a jam.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, the saguaros are heavily protected... I'm sure some people dig 'em up out there in the middle of nowhere, but if they ever get caught, the penalties are severe. Oddly enough, the saguaro trade is thriving here, as so many folks like to have one or more in their yard. I had a glimpse into that whole scene when I watched it unfold at that friend's home I mentioned. He has more money than I do, and he worked out a deal with a guy who owns a business... the business being the sale and installation of saguaros, lol. Changing their locations too, if folks want that to happen. This guy showed up in a special rig, a truck with an auger on a boom, and a custom "lift & tilt" apparatus (for lack of a better phrase) which allows him to wrap a cactus, lift it out of the ground, and tilt it for transport while fully supported. The root mass is wrapped too, that's necessary for transport. These saguaros can literally weigh TONS, so ya can't just lift 'em out of the ground by yourself, even with a few workers to help ya. As a former truck driver, I found the whole cactus-lifting-and-transporting rig very interesting, it definitely fills a need, ya know? Learn something new every day, I reckon... ;)

Here are some more shots of Bear on the view deck, sharing a delicious cup of herbal tea with me (Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice, with a tiger on the box---gets the approval of all the cats, lol). That Bearcat is so starved for affection, he'll really go to town whenever I share quality time with him!!! As seen in some photos toward the end, lol... that knucklehaid! He has a limp this morning in one foreleg, but I can't find any cause, so I hope it gets better... he's pretty good about letting me examine his leg & foot, and I don't see anything, so maybe he just pulled a muscle or something. Might have been stung too, we have plenty of bees & wasps here. Anyway, I threw in some other shots of Tiger & Crackhead in the yard, and Crackhead playing with Bear through the fence... he took a swipe at me when I photographed him, lol. That tree in the corner is not a stump, it's just a log that I put up on end so the cats can climb up and look out over the neighborhood... they like to do that at times, without going outside the fence. Tiger hangs out below the log, there's a little nook for him, lol. :cool:

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3070.JPG IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3074.JPG IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG

Oops, only 10 pics at a time, so I'll be back in a moment... one day, I'll have to straighten out those pavers in the last shot, another low priority task, lol. Hey, Crackhead isn't complaining! BTW, that 'Spanish Missions Of California---El Camino Real' mug is one of two which belonged to me dear departed mum, I often use 'em just to remind me of her. Plus it has a cool sailing ship! That tea was so darned good, I made another cup... used the same bag, since I'm cheap, lol. Still mighty tasty... I'll take a shot of the box so y'all can see the Bengal Tiger, WOOHOO!!! :)

P.S. In case anybody is wondering, that's my hammock stand in the yard... in the White Mountains, I had 21 tall Ponderosa Pines on my property, with numerous ways to sling my Pawleys Island Hammock (Beach Stripe Model), but here in Cochise County, I use that hammock stand. It's not as nice as having the tall pines, but it still works, lol. :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, here are the shots of Bear playing at my feet... you can see the carpet slippers I mentioned. No slave to fashion this morning, I'm wearing some work socks, lol. That Bearcat likes the slippers, and so does Crackhead... when the slippers are in my room, Crackhead will attack them and play for minutes at a time, lol. Meh, the slippers were inexpensive, I think they're WallyWorld specials. Anyway, here's Bear, and here's a shot of the big kitty on the tea box, lol. "HERE, KITTY, KITTY!!!" ROARRR!!! :oops:

IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3086.JPG

Hmm, I just noticed that my carpet slippers are covered in catnip, while my socks have cat hair all over 'em, lol. Oh, well, this is how life goes when you're a cat lover... could be worse, I reckon. That Bear sure is a friendly cat, he seems starved for affection, like he hasn't had any in awhile, ya know? And that may be the case, if some wanker abandoned him... I began feeding him a couple of months ago, maybe three months? I can't remember, too much other stuff going on in life, but it hasn't been too long. Poor guy, he's not a bad cat, he's just a bit of a slob whenever he eats, lol. He makes a mess of the milk bowl too, throwing drops everywhere... thank goodness I have the place mat for him. Well, I'm off to finish my tea and make some breakfast, I'm starting to get hungry, lol. The cats ate a couple of hours ago, but all I've had is juice and then some tea later. Meh, no worries, I'm not in a hurry on this quiet Sunday morning... just watching the wild birds and sharing quality time with the cats. Cheers!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm always looking for ways to save money, but I still live like a king, lol... for instance, I always cook in batches, and later today I'm making a big ol' pot roast for dinner. The last pot roast I made was so good, I decided to have Round #2... with fresh onions, potatoes & baby carrots, all in brown gravy, lol. It was mighty tasty last week, I'm hoping for a similar result tonight, 10-4? I can't believe it's already after 1300 hours here, I guess I had such a good time this morning that it flew by in record time! Sun is shining now, but we have clouds stacked on the horizon, and it feels humid outside, so I'm hoping to see more rain tonight as well. Sure was nice this morning, with the air so cool & fresh! An unexpected treat during the monsoon season... this time of year, I'll take all the cool & fresh mornings I can get, the cooler & fresher, the better, lol. :)

Say, what exactly is a "void cat?" I must have missed the memo... I know what a void is aboard ship, and I know what it means to void a check, but I'm not sure what a "void cat" is, lol. I'm doing my best to shower Bear with affection, he sure seems to like it... maybe in that sense he IS a void, since he went without affection for awhile. Meh, he's getting plenty of it now, along with plenty to eat and drink, so he's alright. Check out these shots of Crackhead... I just grabbed a plastic WallyWorld bag out of the small cupboard where I store them, and he jumped up to the top shelf where I keep the canned cat food, lol. There's just enough room behind those cans for a cat to turn around and chill out in the cat cave... I keep the cans that way on purpose, you understand. Look at the knucklehaid inspecting the cans, lol. The BLASTED VARMINT!!! It's not like HE pays for 'em! ;)

IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3105.JPG

Reminds me of a gubmint bureaucrat, some official bean counter making sure all the cans are there, lol... the KNUCKLEHAID!!! :sneaky:

Edit: Just checked NOAA Weather, and we have a 70% chance of T-storms this afternoon and evening, WOOHOO!!! Tiger isn't gonna like the thunder, but he'll get over it... and we definitely need the rain! Besides, the San Pedro Valley greens up nicely during the monsoon, I might have to run down to Tombstone this week and see how that burg is doing, lol. It's only half an hour from my door, I can literally walk historic Allen Street within 30 minutes of my departure, aye? I love that place, it has some tourist shtick but it also has some SE-WIOUS Western history, lol. Doesn't get any more serious, that's for sure! I feel like I'm in an old Western whenever I walk the dusty streets and wooden boardwalks of Tombstone... and I always stop to have a cold beer in Big-Nose Kate's Saloon, that place has such a cool vibe to it! Straight outta the Old West!!! Even the tourists can cowboy up in that saloon, lol... CHEERS!!! :cool:

Registered
MooMoo, 11months
Ooo I have the same cat food too. Your pot roast sounds very tasty. We call black cats "void cats" because in certain lighting the black cat just looks like a blob of black with eyes and a happy tail and since a void is a realm of nothingness, a void cat would be a ~realm of cuteness~. Very very cute.

Kinda like this one I found on Google.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, I see... makes perfect sense! And I agree with you & other site members about black cats being difficult to photograph at times... I had to take about 15 shots just to get those last two of Crackhead, which aren't all that clear, lol. The pot roast is gonna be delicious, but I probably won't make it for another two hours or so... I had breakfast this morning, so I'm letting that settle for awhile, lol. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, this has been a wonderfully restful & restorative day, sometimes I just gotta chill out and let the world go spinning by, ya know? And this home of mine is in a great neighborhood, very quiet and peaceful... no riots or drive-by shootings here, lol. I started my pot roast about an hour ago, and my home now smells delicious, lol. Which brings me to a point I'd like to make: all youngsters, boys & girls alike, should learn to cook, not only as a means to independence, but also to save money AND enjoy some tasty vittles, lol. :)

Moi, I started cooking when I was 10 years old, as a way of lightening the load for me dear departed mum after my pop left. Instead of bugging her while she was grieving and overwhelmed, I told myself, "I'll just go into the kitchen and make my own meals!" And I did... not without some experimentation, and some things got burnt, there might even have been a grease fire or two, lol. Now, nearly half a century after I began, I can cook like a true culinary master... it's almost a Zen thing, lol. And the money I save??? HOLY COW!!! o_O

I'll let y'all in on a little secret: when I was in my 20s thru 40s, I'd cook huge dinners for a dozen people at a time, including family members and friends from the surf shop who'd bring their wives or girlfriends to my house. I lived in an old beach cottage in Coronado, very comfortable and centrally-located, so it was easier for folks to convene at the ol' hacienda... BBQ action, culinary masterpieces in the kitchen, you name it, I'd knock it out. Fresh green salads bursting with enzymes too, I was clued in early to enzyme nutrition & food combination, lol. ;)

Picture me coming in off the road, with a wallet full of C-notes to burn... my friends knew that when I was in town, we'd all eat well, lol. They'd help out by bringing cases of beer or booze, maybe some vino for the wives & girlfriends, but we partied and ate like kings (and queens, lol). Many a night of good food & revelry was enjoyed at the ol' hacienda. Then I moved to Arizona so I could actually buy a home free & clear, and I still remembered how cool it was to cook big batches of food... I also remembered how economical it was, buying value packs of everything, lol. (y)

I just celebrated my 59th birthday at the end of June, and to this day, I am cooking in large batches, lol. Maybe not quite as large as those I made back on the beach, but still pretty large, as I love leftovers! Many hearty homemade soups, stews, burrito mixes, lasagna batches, etc., actually taste BETTER after sitting for a day or two, as long as they are PROPERLY STORED in the fridge, 10-4? Oxidation is your enemy here, you want to seal food in such a way that there's little or no air in with it. Oxidation is also what happens when metal rusts... think of oxidation in the kitchen as "food rusting!" Lol... :oops:

The only thing I do NOT make in batches now is salad... well, I'll make enough to last a night or two, but veggies are best cut fresh and consumed pronto for maximum enzyme nutrition, lol. Sprouts are REALLY good, my personal favorite would be clover sprouts, but they have to be fresh, not all tired & funky brown, lol. And no matter what you're dealing with in your kitchen at the moment, if there's ANY question whether the food has turned or gone bad, just HEAVE that junk into the trash where it belongs. Ya can't save 'em ALL, lol... though I'm good at rotating stock and using it up in a timely manner. :rolleyes:

Okay, thus endeth the sermon, I'm back to my chilled Chardonnay... no beer today, I need a break, lol. One of the perks of being master of your kitchen is that you can choose your beverages as you go, as well as your music, lol. Sometimes I hear Johnny Cash, sometimes I hear rock & roll, surf tunes like The Ventures, New Age flamenco guitar from Ottmar Liebert, etc. etc. I choose whatever fits my mood at the time... I'm not sure whether food prepared while listening to The Mighty Zep is ANY better than food prepared while listening to Pink Floyd, someone ELSE will have to make that determination, lol. :alien:

Oh, yeah, one last weather update before I bail... I just watched a tremendous rain squall obscure half of the Dragoons, and our forecast does call for rain, WOOHOO!!! I'm hearing the rumbling of thunder as the sky darkens prematurely, so it probably won't be long before the torrential downpour occurs in my yard, lol. I love rural Arizona, the quality & clarity of the atmosphere in the boondocks is SO good, one can clearly see squalls and walls of rain from MILES away, lol. I'm not joking either, the long-range visibility is excellent... one more reason why I love it here. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Edit: I also make outstanding holiday turkey dinners, lol... homemade stuffing in the bird, homemade mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, it's ALL good!!! Best of all, the kittehs get to share in the goodness, right down to minced turkey with homemade gravy on it, lol... :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts