Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Nero is a PITA at night, he knocks on the door to the hallway, he knocks on the sliding glass door in our bathroom even if it is open, he knocks on the sliding glass door to outside (not allowed), if we yell at him he will go under the bed and knock on the wall. and what i mean by knock you guys call it making portals. Its annoying when we are trying to sleep. during the day he will knock at the back door, and on any door that is even remotely closed, he will knock on cabinets, the wall under the futon, inside the couch, the front door, the storm door if the front door is open. Basically anything that can make a sound or resembles a door in anyway shape or form. EXCEPT the fridge. go figure...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is just addressing the knocking, him and Tobay "attack" each other throughout the night, so he isnt bored.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Does he have any cat furniture? My Silver will claw at the carpet by any closed door when we are in need of cat furniture. If I leave the bedroom door open at night though he tends to quiet down about it. Hmm, have you tried a treat ball or something like that? Even though they play together a lack of entertainment to interact with can cause issues like this. Maybe get a couple paper bags and cardboard boxes? Cats go gah gah for the simplest things lol. Silver adores the rings off bottles as long as they are well cleaned and too large to go totally in his mouth. He doesn't like the small ones thank goodness.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would honestly counter and say just because him and Tobay wrestle with one another doesn't mean that he is not bored. Cats like variety and to be stimulated, just like people. It gets boring to have the same playing routine and the same toys over and over. I think he is bored and displaying this behavior as a result of it, and he knows it is getting your attention because you are responding to him. So, naturally, he keeps doing it. Try changing his play routine and see if it makes a difference.

My husband loves to play with my cats about an hour before we go to bed. Their favorite toy is Da Bird. They got crazy for it! It always leaves them breathless and tuckered. http://www.dabirdcattoy.net/

Another toy I will turn on when I turn the lights out and go to bed is this laser pointer FroliCat BOLT Laser Pet Toy at PETCO My cats spend more time stalking it then chasing it. But it too gives them mental stimulation and tuckers them out.

I would try it and see if it makes a difference!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They both have a cat tower and he ignores the toys we do have. Laxer pointer, balls, this thing on a stick that tobay loves to chase.

he does not like to play with boxes (blashphemy!) or bags, Tobay does though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I encourage you to check out this website Innovative Cat Toys

Perhaps he just hasn't found the right toy yet that really gets him going. Or it is extremely possible that he is ignoring the current toys because he is bored with them. Cats all have different preferences in play items. The site has some interesting ideas and items to mentally stimulate a kitty.

If you don't honestly believe it is a boredom thing then set aside some time for a really good cuddle before you go to bed. If he likes to be brushed brush him, scratch his chin, whatever he likes. Make it last a good amount of time. Let it be just a special Nero and mommy time. Maybe if he gets this before you leave for bed then he will feel satisfied.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, for the past few nights I've been smothering him with attention right before bed, and he has so far settled down for the rest of the night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts