Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My Mini has been diagnosed with IBD and we are the process of trying to find a new food for her after being on a urinary health food for a while for a UTI. We know rabbit-based will work, but she was getting dry food before the UTI and I'm determined to keep her on canned now...but I'm having trouble finding a rabbit-based, canned food. I know Nature's Variety does one, but I'm not sure how it will work since it's got pork liver in it too; it seems EVO did one at one point, but I can't find it for sale anyplace, so I don't know if it's been discontinued?

Do you all know of anything, other than the Nature's Variety, that I could have missed in my research? If not, has anyone had success with IBD and venison or duck? We haven't tried those yet but I'm skeptical of duck since chicken didn't work.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I know a member here with an IBD cat feeds a duck and green pea food, so duck may be worth a shot! I know both EVO and Blue Wilderness have duck foods. And I think Natural Balance has a Limited Ingredient duck food? From what I recall that's what the aforementioned member feeds her cat.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Duck is very different from chicken, it's an option to try. As is venison. Pork liver is probably something she'd never had, so I would think it could be fine. But I've been having trouble getting Instinct Rabbit for a few weeks now, not sure if there's an issue.

Evanger's make a rabbit, but it's not nutritionally balanced, you'll need to supplement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, everyone! I ended up ordering some EVO 95% Venison, so we will try that this week and see how it goes. Weirdly the c/d food our vet had her on for a urinary issue is pork-based, and she can tolerate it but only with a higher dose of prednisolone than I'm comfortable having her on long-term. Also I'm not convinced the Science Diet was doing us any favors. So we know chicken and pork are out. Bring on the next!

Thanks especially to AC for that link...I don't know how I hadn't come across it yet in my frantic late-night Googlings, but it is super helpful.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nature's Logic has rabbit. Yoshi loves it.
Feline Canned Rabbit

If you want, depending on where you live, I can mail you a can or two to try. I currently have 2 cases (1 rabbit, 1 chicken), so I have plenty of food.

If you're interested, PM me.

Also, Nature's Logic has a Duck & Salmon (not sure how if your cat can tolerate salmon though).

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Nature's Logic has chicken, chicken fat and eggs (presumably from chickens) in it.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Oops...somehow I picked up the dry...should have known with it having "meal" in it.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Franklin has biopsy diagnosed IBD. For wet food he eats only Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea. Prior to the duck he ate Royal Canin prescription venison. The duck is a lot cheaper and easier to get. He gets most of his nutrition from the cans but does graze on Royal Canin Indoor Adult 27 dry food. It does contain chicken. The most important thing he eats is 5mg prednisolone every other day :)

He has been on this plan for almost a year and a half and has not had the runs and has thrown up only twice. His weight has gone from 5 lbs to 8.5 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts