Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our 1 year old cat got his rabies shot and triple shot booster 5 days ago. He is normally a VERY active cat and seems to be sleeping all of the time and plays very little. He seems very cranky and hisses at the dog which he hasn't done in a long time. He just isn't his self and I am scared silly that something is terribly wrong and related to the vaccinations. He is eating, drinking and having normal litter box duties.

Help!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is so much more playful today!! I think this is his last rabies shot. I have photoshop.......I can fake a letter for the boarding kennel. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vaccine Reaction

Vaccine reactions are common, so you are not alone. Be sure to notify your veterinarian about the symptoms that occurred after the shots.

In my experience, when a reaction happens, it is noted in the file for future reference and future vaccinations are usually split-up giving either the rabies or the booster, and then waiting 2-3 weeks before giving the other. Sometimes it's just the combination of the two when the reaction occurs. Your veterinarian may also be able to give an antihistamine injection prior to the vaccine which should help to curb any adverse reaction.

Also, there are several different types of vaccines made by different companies that react differently in different cats. Your veterinarian may have a different type on hand or may be able to special order something for you.

There are many different options available so you don't have to miss out on any protection. An alternative may also be titering, which has mixed reviews among veterinarians. Titering is a blood test to see if the cat would be immune to the diseases, should the kitty come into contact with an infected animal. The test is a little more complicated, but I just summed it up for you in case you hadn't heard of it.

Nothing is 100% foolproof, but I just wanted you to have plenty of options for whatever you decide. Hope I helped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts