Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old kitten and he has already had his other shots, but i was wondering if i could get away with not giving him his rabies vaccine. he will only be an indoor cat. I don't think its required in california for cats to be vaccinated against rabies so i would rather not.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I too live in California...and it is the LAW that cats & dogs must be vaccinated against Rabies.

I was just told yesterday, that if your cat accidentally bit someone, and you didn't have proof of his Rabies shot....the cat would be euthanized with NO exceptions :(

So yes, you need to vaccinate the kitten.

Abhay :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
To be protected, they have to have one vaccine between 4-6 months and a booster at one year. After that, you need to follow the laws that apply in your area. Your local shelter or animal control can tell you what those are.

I have had a number of indoor cats come into contact with rabid or potentially rabid animals. One bat flew down a chimney; one came in through an open window, and one enterprising (and quick!) feline caught a bat on his 14th floor balcony! So yes, the rabies vaccine is very necessary.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts