Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Quite a few years ago I had rescued a Himalayan cat from a shelter. He was a wonderful cat who would follow me wherever I went and play fetch. My family( myself ,husband , 2 children and dog) are looking for a feline kitten up to and no older than 6 months of age. We want a personality as I described above but also gets along well with children and dogs. I am looking for a kitten from a breeder and have researched a few pertaining to the Ragdoll. Wondering if any of you can verify the personality of the Ragdoll and maybe any breeder recommendations in the Ontario area ?

Thanks In Advance

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
We're not allowed to post links to breeders, but we do have members with Ragdolls who can attest to their gentle personalities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't realize that. I thought maybe some could say where they purchased their cat. But I will take any info on the breed :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes, following you around like your shadow sounds like a Himalayan/Persian for sure! :D I have two Persians and they are the most playful, vocal, and attached kitties I've ever had. Wherever I go, they must follow. They are just the sweetest things imaginable.

I've never owned a Ragdoll, but I've heard fantastic things about them. One thing to note is that there are always cats who are exceptions to their breed. I've met a few Ragdolls who were shy, reserved, and not very playful. So it's always good to interact with the kitten, get an idea of their temperament, etc. :)

I know we have a few members with Ragdolls so hopefully they chime in!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply Mandy and Ellie.

I would love to get another Himalayan bit after researching breeders here I just can't seem to find one that is suitable to me . A lot of different reasons really. So I began the search of different breeds and like the Birman and Ragdoll but I can't find any Birman breeders near here. So. Ragdoll it is .

You are correct in saying every cat has an exception to their breed in terms of personality. That is one of the reasons I want a local breeder where I can go and see the cattery and cats and interact with them and get a first hand view of the breeding practices.

We are hoping for early 2016 to have a kitten by as that gives me time to research the breed and breeders. It's a big decision and I don't take it lightly !

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Go to the website for whatever cat fancier associations there are in Canada (e.g. in the US it's CFA & TICA...maybe it's the same in Canada?). They should have lists of breeders for each breed.

I have a Maine Coon, not so different from a Ragdoll. Best cat ever. Sweet, gentle, friendly, smart, and funny.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a ragdoll rescue cat! He is the best, just so very sweet. We got him when he was 6 years old, and did not have the benefit of socializing him ourselves, yet he does demonstrate a very companionable and sweet demeanor. He is extremely patient with children and tolerates being held by them. He is not a lap cat, but he is always nearby, at my feet, or 'helping'. He is vocal, and wants a lot of attention. Skye's coAt is lovely, very soft and does not tangle. And he sleeps on our bed at night. I think he craves human interaction more than any of my other kitties have.
Good luck in your search, I certainly have been charmed by my ragdoll!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Canada does use TICA and CFA. I know TICA only lists a very very few of the cattery names for what they breed. Sometimes our cattery names tell what we breed.

If you google "ragdoll breeders Ontario", you should get a long list of breeders' webpages to check out. (I checked and there was a long list of Birmese pages for Onataio as well).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Speechie and Mochas Mommy! I think I have it narrowed down to 3 breeders.. It's been a few years since I owned a cat. But these are the questions I ask...let me know if you think they are ok....

Are the male and femal onsite?
How long have you been breeding/ showing cats?
What genetic testing/ health testing is done on your kitten ? Also can we see a report of the parents of the kittens health testing report?
What exactly does your health guarantee cover?
How many litters do you produce a year?
If I want a cat for early 2016 when should I be put on you wait list?
How do you chose future owners on your wait list and match them to a cat?
What comes included with the cat ie vaccines,papers and etc?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Those sound like some good questions. I'd also ask to see the pedigree of the parents, and the health test on the parents. Also, ask if you can come see them. That should be #1... that you can come visit and inspect the premises to be SURE they live in the home. You want to avoid any kitten mills at all costs!

If you ask the breeder if you can come visit (the parents, maybe even see current kittens, etc) and they seem weird about it, I'd forget about them. This can be a red flag. A breeder who legitimately has the cats living in their home won't have a problem with this.

When I visited my breeder, her grandkids were over and the parents and kittens were being loved on and played with, laying on their furniture looking out the window, just living happy kitty lives. That's what you want to see!

Good luck! I know how exciting (yet nerve-wrecking) of an experience it can be, but it sounds like you'll be a very thorough and great owner to your new kitten! :D Please keep us posted on your journey!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You will want to know how long the health guarantee is for (1 year is common) and what you would have to do to invoke that aspect of the contract. You may also want to know what the return policy is and what the rehiring policy is. (Good breeders will take back the cat rather than have you send it to a shelter if you are no longer able to care for it).

What is their after purchase support like? Can you email or call with questions after you own the kitten?

What vaccinations will the kitten come with! Had it been dewormed? Does the breeder microchip or desex (spay/neuter) before you take possession? If not, what is the time period in which you must desex the kitten?(a breeder will not release the registration slip until they have vet confirmation the kitten is deserved).

Was the kitten raised in a cage or in the house? Was it socialized to children or our pets? How often were they handled?

What type of food and litter are used? You will want to ensure that is what you have on hand when you take possession. Many breeders send home samples of what the kitten is used to for the early days...you may want to ask about that. As well, if you have a preference for food, you can always ask if the breeder is okay with that....I had a breeder willing to feed mine raw when the rest of the litter was on kibble.

You may also want to ask about their grooming policy...will the kitten be used to nail trimming and fur brushing when you get it? Will they be scratch post trained?

Ask if you can see a copy of their contracts before you make a decision. How much is he deposit and what is their refund policy?

If you have any questions, let me know!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Ask about a kitten contract. If they do have one (they should) it may specify what foods to feed and vet visits and of course things like declawing (bad!) and saying the kitten must be indoor only. If you stray from it, it could negate any health guarantee they offer.

ETA: Yeah, what Mocha said. :p Especially about taking back the kitten. A good responsible breeder backs up their animals for LIFE. If circumstances change, catastrophe happens, or whatever they should be willing to step up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
As M&E states, breeders are generally okay with you coming to see the kittens and where they breed. The males MAY be housed in cages (they generally spray and it is NOT pleasant!) But these stud houses should be quite spacious and kept clean for them.

Some breeders may not allow you to touch the kittens or go into the kitten room in the first couple weeks after birth. However, if you have a deposit on a kitten and have chosen one, then they generally let you have access. This prevents non-serious buyers from touching and possibly passing diseases/germs onto the newborns. There is no real policy on this...ask the breeders what their policy is and their reasoning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. The breeder I seem to be leaning towards emailed me again and I will ask the other questions you pointed out as well! So far I'm leaning towards her as the others just seemed off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tests

When buying a kitten what tests should of been done on the parent and / or the kite to ensure healthy kitten ?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There are genetic tests that can be done on the parents to see if they test positive for common diseases. For example, Persians are prone to polycystic kidney disease and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Any ethical breeder will test to see if the parents are carriers of these genetic conditions, as well as other common health issues, of the cat they plan on breeding before doing so. If every breeder does this, this will help ensure that the entire pedigree line is clear of these issues.

The tests may vary depending on the breed, since some breeds are prone to different genetic conditions than others.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Woops, sorry for the double comment, it was too late to edit.

You also want to make sure the parents are registered pedigree cats, preferably a member of the CFA or TICA. This way, you can ensure the cat has a healthy, pedigree lineage from reputable breeders with no inbreeding. Here is an example of a cat's pedigree. This cat has an identical pedigree to my cat Tootsie (same parents), except she was born in the next litter, about a year and a half later. She is actually a dam for a breeder - I don't have her pedigree on my PC so thought his would do, haha. :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The breeder themselves will have these papers. I don't think it's public information on the CFA or TICA's website since that would be a ton of pedigrees! :D It's up to the breeder to ensure their cats are registered, and then register their litters when they're born through the CFA. When you adopt your kitten, the breeder should give you papers with your kittens birthdate, the cattery's name, etc. from the litter being registered. It's then up to you to fill out your kitten's name and your information and then send the papers. At least, this has been my experience with my breeder whose cats are CFA registered.

As for finding a breeder, it's not as easy as just looking at the CFA and TICA websites. If they do have any breeders listed, it's a small amount. I, personally, did a Google search of "Persian kittens for sale (my city)" and scoured the links. Some breeders have websites, some post on websites such as Hoobly, etc. It's up to us to investigate the breeder, ask to see their pedigrees, ask to see the premises, ask to see their cats, and ensure they're a quality breeder. Ask them questions, ask for proof, and ask to come see the cats. If they act hesitant or something seems off, walk away and find a different breeder. A legitimate breeder won't have issues answering simple questions and won't have issues letting you see their cats and their cats pedigrees (unless they're running a shady operation).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts