Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Popcorn, 3 years old, Ragdoll
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Each summer, my ragdoll cat and me goes to a house with a garden. As Popcorn is an indoor cat and a very curious one at that, I didn't think it would be wise to let him go outside. However, his vet said it would be for the best and now, I take him outside in a leech at specific times.

The problem is, when he was not allowed to go out at all, he would urinate each time I would go smoking by the door. He would sense me outside and urinate. He would not do so, however, if I was fully out of the house. However now, even if he is allowed to 3h of outside per days, he will still urinate. Worse, he will urinate even when no one is outside. Furthermore, he doesn't seem to be peeing inside of his litter box.

Would anyone know a solution to this problem, beside letting him go out whenever he wants(I live in a busy neighbourhood and do not feel safe letting him out freely)?

Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
I've always been afraid to take my girls out on a leash or in a stroller because I've heard stories about cats who become obsessed with going outside, crying and scratching at the door, etc.

As far as not using the litterbox, many members here have recommended Cat Attract litter. I'm not sure if you can get it in your neighborhood or from Amazon.

Because it's not safe where you usually live, I would keep him inside. I know in other countries, letting cats outside is normal, so hopefully nobody here will judge you on that.

As for this summer, I think keeping him inside might be the first thing I would try to see if that solves the problem - also, not letting him see you go out may help.

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always been afraid to take my girls out on a leash or in a stroller because I've heard stories about cats who become obsessed with going outside, crying and scratching at the door, etc.

As far as not using the litterbox, many members here have recommended Cat Attract litter. I'm not sure if you can get it in your neighborhood or from Amazon.

Because it's not safe where you usually live, I would keep him inside. I know in other countries, letting cats outside is normal, so hopefully nobody here will judge you on that.

As for this summer, I think keeping him inside might be the first thing I would try to see if that solves the problem - also, not letting him see you go out may help.
the cat attract litter is a good idea, thank you! And thanks also for the other advice :) The problem is that for two summers we kept him inside and he would urinate. Now, even though I let him out with a leach, he still urinates. But thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
Oh, I guess I wasn't much help with the urination problem then. Ordinarily, I would suggest getting him tested for a UTI issue, but if it just happens at specific times of the year, it's probably not that. Is it just in the summer?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just to say........ I tried taking my current cat out on a leash -- just in the back yard --and it basically turned him into a monster who demanded to be taken outside constantly. Big mistake with that cat, and it took a while to extinguish that behavior.

Don't know if that would happen with your cat or not of course. I had other cats who could go outside with me and come back in and there was no problem. But I wouldn't try it again, myself, unless I were living in an area where it was safe to let my cat outside without a leash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I guess I wasn't much help with the urination problem then. Ordinarily, I would suggest getting him tested for a UTI issue, but if it just happens at specific times of the year, it's probably not that. Is it just in the summer?
its only when we go to this house. My best guess is that he is frustrated to have a garden but not to be able to explore it :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cats like routines so he might just be confused. You could try changing his litter to a basic unscented clay one and use the same litter and box style as your other house (no covers) , put another litter box near where he's going, and thoroughly clean the area where he shouldn't pee asap to avoid a repeat performance. When he does use the box, you could give him a treat and lots of praise until he gets used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts