Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a ragdoll kitten and he is 4 months old. However he is too aggressive (hissing, growling, attacking, making weird noises, screaming) at the vet, even for the slightest things (normal check up, cutting nails etc.). We even changed vets (due to many other reasons) but he is aggressive with the new one too. Are your cats like that too? At home he is playful but not aggressive like at the vet.
At first (when he was about 2.5 months and for his first checkup) he was the sweetest furball at the vet, but now... He is just unmanageable...

The person we bought our kitten from gave him to us at 8 weeks and told us that he was a real ragdoll (mother and father were ragdolls).

I know Ragdolls are docile and calm.
Do you think he is a real Ragdoll though? And how do I check this?
Also what do you think about his behaviour? And what are your recommendations?

I would be very happy to read your thoughts and advices!

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
Obviously your ragdoll didn't read the breed manual. Unless you got papers with him, there will never be an answer to this question. Different breeds do have general traits, but you just never know. So even if you knew he was a purebred, he's still a cat with a mind of his own. Birmans are not supposed to get matts. But my Birman, Cinderella, could get a matt on the way home from the groomer just by breathing. Drove me nuts!

My girls are just the opposite of your cat. They are perfect at the vet's office. When I had four cats, the vet/groomer could trim all their nails in under 5 minutes. I can do their nails now, thank goodness. I think my girls know what they can get away with when it's me, but they are too intimidated by strange places and strange people that they will not act out at the vet's office. I mean, they just stay still and put up with it during a vet visit, but holy crap, I'd never get away with sticking a thermometer in their fuzzy little butts.

But having said all this, it's the opposite of how your little man behaves. I'm not sure if this is possible where you live, but having a mobile vet come to your house might be a good option for both of you. Some of my friends also give their pets medication to calm them down before they go to the vet. I sure could use some of that for myself for when I get the bill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts