Cat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old male ragdoll kitten has been urinating at the bottom of the stairs usually before breakfast or just when I walk down the stairs with him. If I don't walk down quick enough he simply squats down and does a wee before running off to his food bowl ready for breakfast. I'm not sure if he's just excited for food or excited that I'm down stairs and that's why he's urinating but its not really ideal so I'm desperate for a solution. I've got one other 9 month old cat and they both get on excellently so I don't think my younger kitten is stressed as he doesn't show any other signs of being unhappy. I've got 3 litter trays around the house, covered in ones and open top ones to give him the choice, which he uses all 3 really well when home alone but still insists on weeing on the stairs when someone walks down them. If I'm quick enough to catch him I put him in the litter box but this does mean a fountain of wee has decorated the walls multiple times. Friends have suggested putting a 4th litter box there but I really only want to do that as a last resort as it is a heavy trafficked area so ideally I don't want it in the way. He is an indoor cat but is booked in to be neutered in a few weeks just in case he is urine marking (he is squatting to wee so I'm thinking it is just urinating as opposed to urine marking). He has been checked for a UTI and doesn't have one so that can be ruled out. I use an enzyme cleaner for the area but he still uses the same specific spot. I'm currently using puppy pads to minimise the damage and clean up time but really I want to solve the root of the problem. Any advice on how you got your cat/specifically ragdoll to stop weeing on the floor would be hugely appreciated.
Poppy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts