Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum, and anxious to hear your opinions on the topic of raising happy, well-adjusted kittens.

I have two girls and one boy that are now 7 months old. I've raised them since they were 3 weeks old and have become concerned about the gap in sizes between the runt and her brother/ sister. The vet says the runt is healthy, and will grow eventually. However, my concern is more about the runt not being able to join in on play, and I feel sorry for her.

The runt is 3lbs and her sister and brother weigh 6lbs, and 8lbs respectively. Ever since the size gap grew bigger, she just hasn't been playing as much because she's worried she'll be trampled! The kittens are never intentionally mean and they take turns going after the toy. It's just that they get impatient and they are so intimidating in size.

Aside from the few play wrestles here and there, the runt is left out when the other two play chase. She now is timid to play with the feather, which used to be her favorite toy. I know she is still interested, because she will play with it when she feels safe (like other kittens far away).

I think it might be a confidence issue because I have seen her play much more assertively after she outperformed the other two with a puzzle feeder. (She's definitely the smart one of the litter!)

Does anyone have advice for my little runt kitty?

·
Super Moderator
26,397 Posts
Are you not playing with her alone??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do but not really. The other kittens hear her playing and will join almost immediately! I've tried closing the door but they complain until I let them in.

·
Super Moderator
26,397 Posts
They're not the boss of you. You have to be strong for your tiny girl. :) She needs the exercise, bonding with you and building her confidence and body strength. Plus it will increase her appetite and (maybe) stimulate some growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts