Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ramona is two years old. She's currently an outside cat. Being a little more...feral than my other two cats, she's usually ornery and has a blast rolling around in the yard. In the past month and a half, I noticed some disturbing changes. Her appetite has become standstill. She barely eats or drinks. She has become incredibly skinny. She doesn't play anymore. She hides places and sleeps all the time. This past Monday, I went and bought wet cat food, baby food and canned milk to see if maybe she just needed a new diet. When I offered these things to Ramona, she barely ate them. I took her to the vet soon after. Unfortunately, I am an impoverished college student without a job currently. Having this been said, they couldn't do any diagnostics because I don't have the money. The doctor did send me home with a food stimulant pill and an antibiotic for Ramona. It has been a week, and I'm not seeing much of a change. I've fed Ramona baby food, water, and milk through a syringe. I tried giving her small amounts of cooked chicken. I'm so scared and I don't know what to do. Please give any advice or knowledge you have about this sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Unfortunately the only thing we can tell you is to continue assist feeding her. And figure out how to get the money for the diagnostic tests she needs... I understand that circumstances sometimes change, but it's your responsibility as a pet owner to provide vet care when needed. Sell some possessions, borrow from family or friends...do what you must to come up with the funds.

As a last resort a shelter or rescue may be willing to help her out if you turn her over to them. A better option than letting her die...

·
Registered
978 Posts
You didn't say where you're from. There are groups that may assist with the vet bills.

The shelter I volunteer at will sometimes pickup vet bills for people if they really need help. It's easier for us to just pickup the bill and let them keep the animal than house it and then try to find it a home.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wish I ahd more to suggest but I can only echo what Scottd has said above - it really might be worth looking for a charity that could help.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Please do try to get her veterinary care however you can. The last time I saw an outdoor cat stop eating and get skinny, it did not end well, and it didn't take very long for it to happen. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all so much for having the time to write replies to this post.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I had to put our little Ramona down on September 2nd. I did get monetary help from my boyfriend's grandfather, and we rushed our baby to the emergency vet. To our horror, Ramona's liver was failing. The doctor said it may have been caused by a chemical she could have ingested. However, she said that it's most likely a genetic disorder. We held Ramona in her last moments. I just hope she's in a better place now. I miss her so much. I don't really know how to make myself feel better...I'm not religious. We're having her cremated remains given back to us at the end of this week. That makes me feel like her presence will always be there, and wherever we go, she'll go with us. I'm also going to get a tattoo of her silhouette on my inner arm, so she'll always be close to my heart. I just wish I could know or be comforted that she's okay wherever she went. We gave her such a good life. My other cats and our little dog know she's passed. I've found comfort in my other cats, because Ramona was the leader of the little cat trio.

This loss is so painful, because I lost my baby girl. But this loss has made me realize how much more wary I need to be of my pets' health (which means I have to be a super paranoid mom).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh my i am so sorry for your loss! i lost buddy a long time ago and didnt think i could ever have anouther.until 4 months ago when i found bella.i live in ga.and i went to my local humane sociaty.like you i had no funds.they helped out a great deal.they have programs to help you.alot of people dont know about them.you realy have to grill them for the info.they directed me to a vet that had realy low prices.she got her shots [all of them]for 25 dollors.next month she will be spayed for 45.they base it on your income.i hope this helps my heart goes out to you

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I'm so sorry bizaaro. Many of us have lost kitties and completely understand what you're going through, and to lose a kitty so young is heartbreaking. But I'm glad you were able to get her to the vet to give her a peaceful end and that you were able to be there with her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts