Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter and I adopted two cats from a rescue about 3 months ago. Everything has been great with the exception of one thing...... the male we adopted randomly bites without warning. He never draws blood with it. I know he likes being petted on his own terms... However, he can come rub on you you give him a scratch and stop and he bites. Or like this morning he was laying beside me in ber and he randomly bit me in the arm.... why is he doing this I have read about over stimulation but there are times when you are not doing anything to him and he does this.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Sometimes a cat will do that to attract your attention, usually this is just a gentle "love bite". What else is he doing when he does this? Is his tail twitching? his ears going back? These are signs of annoyance and possibly aggression and it may be his way of saying he wants the whole bed for himself! and his biting is him saying I don't want you laying beside me. So what I suggest is that if you wanted to get up and leave then wait a minute or so and then leave....otherwise he may associate biting you will make you move. If you want to stay in bed, I would make a "Sssss" sound like a hiss, followed by a low growel and look at his eyes with a non-blinking hard stare. That's a warning to the cat that you are angered by his bite in their language--if he looks away he got the message. A cat socialized by being around other cats would understand this.....one that hadn't been socialized by a momacat or litter mates for 3 mos. may not understand the hiss and growel warning. This works for my cats.....all the best! hope it works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ne never lays his ears back or twitched his tail his pupils dont dilate either. I've been kinds going toward the attention thing since he also does this while rubbing on you but other times its random no sign of it coming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts