Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, personally, cannot wait for the end of the olympics. It seems that you can't go anywhere or turn on any TV show without them talking about it. The late night talk shows are either scheduled at odd times or not at all, and they constantly talk about it and/or every one of their comedy bits is based on it.

Some people are very enthusiastic about the olympics, some could care less and some are somewhere in between. Nonetheless, everybody is being force-fed olympics everywhere and I'm ready for TV to get back to normal.

I haven't ranted about anything in a while so I'm due :wink:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Personally I think it is a lot better than some of the other junk on TV. It saddens me that the olympics lost out to American Idol for ratings. These people spend their lives working so hard to get to this point. It truly is an honor and should be celebrated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually enjoy watching the olympics. It's a nice break from the normal drivel that's always on TV.
And......it's nice that the media has something else to focus on, rather than the next political scandal. That sure does get old.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No disrespect to any of the competitors, but I just feel that it's being forced on television viewers who aren't interested.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm just fed up with television in particular. Ever since they gave advertising and programming equal time, I just haven't been interested in watching at all.

Trivia: Did you know that if you watch a 1 hour program without the commercials, it lasts 27 minutes?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I TiVo everything I watch. I can't stand to watch live TV because of the extensive commercial breaks. Plus like you said, you can watch the show in much less time when you skip over the commercials.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
MikePageKY said:
Trivia: Did you know that if you watch a 1 hour program without the commercials, it lasts 27 minutes?
For most cable tv shows, it's 40 minutes of programming and 20 minutes of commercials. Still a lot of advertisement 8O, but better than the major networks...

G

·
0 Posts
Yea, I hate turning on my TV to MSNBC every AM and seeing an Olympic hockey game instead of my favorite weekday AM show, "The Imus in the Morning Show". Some funny stuff goin' on there :p .

Dan

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't watch tv much anymore anyway, as I feel there is hardly anything left worth watching, but I have to agree with the olympics comment. I just personally do not understand what the huge fuss is about and why so many people get so excited over it. I'm not looking forward to 2012 when it comes over to London.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
lightninrod said:
Yea, I hate turning on my TV to MSNBC every AM and seeing an Olympic hockey game instead of my favorite weekday AM show, "The Imus in the Morning Show". Some funny stuff goin' on there :p .Dan

Oh, I'm with you there! I truly miss my IMan fix and think I'm actually having withdrawal symptoms, I swear. :lol: I think that show is nothing short of brilliant and what a amazingly talented cast of regular characters (i.e. Bernard doing his Cardinal Egan bit. As hilarious as they come).

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm enjoying most of the events! I just got a satellite dish, and am getting many more channels (for less money!) , but most of what I'm watching if skating, skiing, luge, etc. So, I'm not taking advantage of the dish!

Richo, I can still empathize; I get so upset when football pre-empts one of my favorite programs!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Did anyone watch the ice dancing finals last nite? Did you think the U.S. desearved the silver? I don't think they did because they didn't do nearly as many or nearly as difficult lifts as the others did. (At least to my untrained eye, anyway).

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Richo said:
Some people are very enthusiastic about the olympics, some could care less and some are somewhere in between. Nonetheless, everybody is being force-fed olympics everywhere and I'm ready for TV to get back to normal.
AAAAAMEN!!! Erik and I detest the Olympics...and honestly, I wish they'd have a special channel for it...because I don't care and I hate that it messes with our shows at night.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
pookie769 said:
Did anyone watch the ice dancing finals last nite? Did you think the U.S. desearved the silver? I don't think they did because they didn't do nearly as many or nearly as difficult lifts as the others did. (At least to my untrained eye, anyway).
I missed it last night, fell asleep right before the last group skated. But, as I understand the scoring is a total of all 3 programs they skate. The second night of skating they were one of the few groups in the top 10 or so that didn't fall. So, while I didn't see last night, like I said it's the total score from all 3 skates that determines placement and the previous skate a lot of top contenders fell and had low scores.

The only stuff I like to watch is skiing/snowboarding/skating, so for me I love the olympics but it's too long because I just don't care about the rest of it. Same with the summer olympics. Just keep gymnastics and swimming!
Although it's a huge deal for the competetors and I agree it is an accomplishment worth celebrating (even if it is curling :wink: )

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I can't get into the Olympics either. It is rather odd because I am a sports nut, but it just doesn't interest me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I love love loooooove the Olympics -esp winter and esp hockey! :D
I don't expect everyone to like them but come on people, it's just 2 weeks on 3-4 channels. Are we that obsessed with tv shows that we can't wait a couple of weeks? Half the time they are all reruns anyways these days and to me, that is more annoying than anything!

Richo said:
no one is being forced to watch it! It's on 3-4 channels, only one of which you prob watch and there are what? like 600 OTHER channels you can watch! :roll:

Crystal211 said:
AAAAAMEN!!! Erik and I detest the Olympics...and honestly, I wish they'd have a special channel for it...because I don't care and I hate that it messes with our shows at night.
14 days out of 365? I think you can handle it! ;)

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
The Cat Whisperer said:
Crystal211 said:
14 days out of 365? I think you can handle it! ;)
lol...I'm a BIG baby though... :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts