Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an invasion of rodents.
If I poison them and my cats eat the dead ones will it hurt them?
Trapping is an option put not as throughal (SP enlighten me can't find it in my dictionary) or as fast as poison.
Has anyone used those high frequency sonic devices that you plug into the wall outlet? Do they work? Will they harm my cats? Ad say's they are cat/dog safe.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Trapping is an option put not as throughal (SP enlighten me can't find it in my dictionary) .
Don't know the answers to your question, but you need an 'o' after the 'th' th'o'rough. I'm a terrible speller, but I use the free, downloadable WordWeb dictionary which helps a lot as it often suggests a spelling. Thorough often throws me, too.

I wouldn't chance my cat to a poisoned rodent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would never put anything that toxic around my cats - whether they ate a poisoned mouse or just straight up ate the poison, you could have a serious disaster on your hands. I know I've heard on tv that trying to poison pests can often result in accidentally poisoning PETS and I would never ever chance it. Way too many ways it could go so terribly wrong.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I would NEVER use poison for the reasons stated above. I would take no chances.

I have used traps in the past and they work well if you use peanut butter. It doesnt come off easily like cheese. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have used traps in the past and they work well if you use peanut butter. It doesnt come off easily like cheese. Good luck!
Not sure if I'd use peanut butter around a cat. :smile: When I first got Zenobi (otb) I was eating some peanut butter and she started to beg. I put a little on my finger and she licked a bit off. I don't usually laugh at cats when they're having problems, but she was so funny as she tried to lick it away. Just like a kid with peanut better sticking to the roof of its mouth. But then, to my surprise, she came back for more. She never did ask for it again, though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The sonic devices DON'T WORK. I had a mouse problem in my shed, and I plugged one of those into the outlet. Wouldn't have known it was there, as the mice simply multiplied. I finally got some of those mouse traps that are like a container, so you can't see the dead rodent. You tell the trap has sprung because of the red "flag" that will change position. Peanut butter is an excellent lure. I hated having to kill the little critters, but they are so destructive!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
is your problem outside or inside??

if its outside... winters coming, it should take care of itself soon shouldnt it?

·
Registered
237 Posts
No Bromethalin. It has a very high second hand toxicity and no antidote. Anti-coagulants are easily treated by a vet with vitamin k, but they're horrifically cruel to the rodent. Also no strycchnine and no arsenic. They're cruel for the rodent and difficult and painful to suffer and treat second hand. I'd go for zinc phosphide. It repels cats and dogs, and can be treated through vet induced vomiting although not for the rodent as they are physically incapable of vomitting. It also leaves the system very quickly really lessening the chance of second hand toxicity.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Was hoping the sonic things would work. I will give Zinc Phophide a try.
Could manage to live with them, but when they want to destroy the house now we are declaring war. I hate to see animals suffer, but this is war.
Usually my cats will sit and stare at the draw or cupboard they are in. When I open it, they run behind the cabinet. I believe I will try and empty out the bottom couple of shelves off the pantry, smear a little peanut butter around and let the door open. Then we will see how brave they are when the cats can get to them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glue Traps

I know many are opposed to glue traps and think they are cruel but they are all I use and they work very well. The goal with glue traps is to place along the lines that the rodents already travel so they will walk on and stick to the glue. The more the creature struggles the more it becomes stuck. They work really well in drawers and cupboards. Some of the sticky boards 'self fold' into a tunnel to protect larger pets.

Glue strips are used in schools and other places where the safety of children and animals are a concern. I have baited them when I use them in drawers - just so I don't have to wait and the catch is always within 24 hours. If people or animals like a cat become ensnared vegetable oil dissolves the glue. It is the safest most effective method I have found.

When I see sign (droppings or urine) I place traps in all areas visibly traved by the mice - generally all the edges of a room, behind furniture, stove fridge etc. If I have to lay a trap where cats or kids can reach it I use the same system as with ant baits: take a clear plastic shoe box cut about a 1 inch high 2 inch wide hole in the lip on either end, flip it upside down over the trap and weight with books or bricks so it is safely blocked off from cats or kids, sort of like a covered bridge type thing (keeps outside traps dry too).

Fair warning: They often start to squeal when they get stuck, the hardest part with these traps is dealing with the mice that are stuck to the glue. The traps themselves have printing on them detailing how to free the rodents, umm - no it will just return.

While I firmly believe rodents are a threat and a disease vector I also hate any animal to suffer so I usually bag them and kill immediately - I couldn't stand the thought of them dying slowly in the rubbish bin.

I know you can buy these traps anywhere but I actually purchase them from a local pest control service,they charge a bit more than a big box store but they share information and they lend me there blacklight to check for trails which makes cathing so much easier.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was doing some research on the sonic things. A bunch of studies showed little to no effect on most pests. Mice and rats might be bothered for a little while but they eventually get used to it and ignore it.
I am not a fan of the glue traps myself. We have a terrible infestation in my office that we're battling right now. I had put little morsels of food in the center of all of them to help lure the mice in and when I got back after a weekend, all the donut was gone but there was nothing caught in any of the traps. We have had the most success with the havaheart live traps. There just like the ones used to catch feral cats except much smaller. if you bait it with peanut butter and a tiny bit of poison, they will die quickly and be in the trap and easy to dispose of.
The big thing is to seal the foundation, cracks and whatever other openings they are using so they stop being able to get into the house.

·
Registered
237 Posts
No glue. It's awful. Rodents have chewed off limbs in an attempt to get away. They suffer. It's rodent torture before death. Live traps have one little problem, you caught it, now what? In most places, it is illegal to release nuisance species. Even if you don't care about the law in order to keep them out you'd have to release at least five miles from your home. That is completely out of their territory. They won't know where to find food, water, or shelter and will more than likely be killed by the existing rodents that don't appreciate the new intruder in their territory. I personally would either use electric traps or the right kind of poison.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just recently my grandmother told my mom that one of her clients ( she is a cleaning lady) lost his cat from the exact reason you are posting. The rodent ate the poison and the cat ate the rodent and became fataly ill and died a horrid death as a result. I would avoid poison at all costs because you never know what can happen as a result. If it was me I would probably just try the old fashioned mouse traps as they do still work for the most part. Maybe you could call your vet and ask about traps that may be a safe approach as it regards your pets health and safety. I hope you can get your rodent problem under control, as I know it is such a pain!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts