Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has IBD and has been on raw food for several years now and is doing very well. On Tuesday she's had 4 premolars removed due to resorptive lesions. The vet said not to feed raw for 10 days as there are open (though stitched) wounds and bacteria could enter in the bloodstream as opposed to going through the digestive tract.

Predictably, she's got some pretty severe diarrhea now and I'm just wondering if others have any experience? I really want to prevent this flare up from getting any worse but I don't know if it's really dangerous to feed raw now or if my vet is just overly cautious. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It's best o follow the vet's advice. My suggestion is to feed her Baby food meat (with no vegs) such as Gerber's, etc. chicken or beef, as it would not involve chewing and be easy to lap up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but work IBD come allergies and she reacts to beef and chicken as well as corn which seems to be present in most baby foods (cornstarch). She's fine eating the pate cans as far as her mouth goes but it's aggravating her IBD.

Anyways, it's tricky and very specific I guess but I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I’d lay off raw for a couple days but the switch back. The risk of infection from raw is not dissimilar to the risk from other foods.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Hi Zuma! There are other Gerber baby foods available! I keep some Ham on hand for emergencies!
Poor baby! I think it's harder on us, at times, than them!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I went back to raw after 4 days (had a chat with the vet). It's just not worth having her IBD flare up and potentially months or life on steroids because of a relatively small risk of infection from raw food (which may or may not be any greater than from regular food which can be full of bacteria).

Trying other foods is just asking for trouble, we've been through it a couple of times and IBD is so tricky. Any change in food needs to be gradual or it'll upset her bowels.

She's doing well now, back to playing and having her crazy 5 min zoomies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts