Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Scooter Bug be switched to the raw diet like Macy was??

Scooter Bug is 5 months old and weighs 5 lbs at the moment...is there anything different I would have to do for him? Could someone come up with the amount that he needs??

Thanks in advance!!

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
See my posts re: Jonah, who started on whole raw prey (mice) at 4 weeks! Scooter Bug is MORE than capable. ;)

The basic rule is 2-3% of the expected adult weight of the cat. So figure an adult weight of 10-12 pounds and go from there. Jonah gets (at 11 weeks) 8 oz a day, or more if he wants it, in 3-4 meals. A 5 mo. old kitten doesn't necessarily need to have whatever he will put away -- base it on how he's handling it. If he gets chubby, cut back. If he's on the slim side, feed more. At 5 mos he should probably still get a 3rd meal every day but COULD be o.k. on 2. Depends.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's on 2x a day meals now...can't do three with my schedule and he's doing fine with the 2x a day... He is my kitten that isn't growing...the possible "dwarf". There's a thread on him in the health section. I believe its called Dwarfism in cats or something like that.

Im glad we can switch him. I hate having to go to Kokomo to get his food, besides that, the raw diet is cheaper then what he's eating at the moment anyway. :?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
OK -- well then, just feed him the same way as Macy (80-85% meat, 5-10% bone, 10% organ, half of which is liver), and given his tinyness, you'll just have to experiment. You don't want him getting fat for sure--keep an eye on how he looks and adjust amounts as needed. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks!!! :D I doubt I'll have much difficulty getting him on the raw diet...he has a hardy appetite. LMAO :D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave him a teaspon of macys food. And Macy's food consists of Deer, Chicken, and Beef meat. Deer kidney and Beef Liver. And Chicken bone. Though he didn't get any bone this time. He's still on his other food to. Slowly making the switch and he's doing pretty good with it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts