Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

The fur-child's been on a raw diet for almost a month now, and I'm so proud of her! Seven years of cereal and she's already chomping through chicken necks like a champ. My question is this: how expensive is it going to get, feeding a raw diet? Sure the organ meats, raw meaty bones and basics like pork and beef are cheap...but getting into things like lamb, quail, duck etc is $$. She just ate half a quail...there goes $2.50. Still, I want to offer her lots of variety. What do
others out there suggest? My cat literally eats better than I do now! :)

Thanks,
Fur Mum.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I feed chicken, beef, pork, and turkey and try stick with meat that is under $2 a lb. Even though it is only four types of animals I am feeding, I use a lot of differant cuts, so they get a lot of variety in that.

An example of what I use -

Chicken: heart, giblets, liver, neck, drumstick, back, breast, feet, thigh, wing

Beef: the actual meat, heart, kidney, liver. I just found a source of lung, tripe, most all secreting organs, and possibly tongue for cheap

Pork: heart, actual meat, just found a source of kidney, liver, brain, most all secreting organs

Turkey: Drumsticks, sometimes I can get heart/liver/gizzards

I am also trying to contact Draper Valley Farms as they have several plants close to where I live. What I want to know is what the plant that is 3 miles from my house does - I asked some people and they said it was a) where they hatch the chicks or b) where they process the meat. So if it is where the chicks are hatched I am going to see if I can get the dead chicks from them which I would feed as whole prey. If it where they process the meat then I can get much more variety (hopefully!) - I'd love to find a source of chicken lungs etc:)

The total cost, for one of my adult cats, is roughly $0.30 - $0.50 a day (it depends on the time of year as they are barn cats). Then there are the kittens who are eating 10-20 oz a day which gets more costly obviously!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I feed a combination of raw and canned. I have 3 cats. The canned component costs me about $60 per month and the raw (quail, quail eggs, anchovies, chicken raw meaty bones, chicken muscle meat, beef liver, gizzards, pork uteri, pork heart, chicken hearts and livers, etc.) costs about $27 per month. This is for 2 meals a day for all my cats.

·
Registered
829 Posts
With Macy, we switch between pork, deer, and chicken....we tried beef and she broke out with her sores. (she has food allergies, thats why I went to the raw diet with her). This year I am raising a goat to butcher so we'll see how she likes goat meat. :)

I dont buy the other stuff...(quail, lamb duck ect ect) I have been wanting to look into seeing how much it would cost to raise a lamb and rabbit for butchering... of course this all coming from someone who lives in the country and raises livestock as it is...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts