Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet wants me to boil the meat b/c of the risk of ecoli...see my When it rains it pours thread....in the health section please to see why I had to call the vet and why he is saying this....

What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
I very much doubt that the problems you are having are due to feeding raw meat. Normal, healthy cats have NO problem whatsoever dealing w/ e.coli, salmonella, etc. Realize that e.coli is actually a perfectly normal inhabitant of ALL our guts.

Vets were trained by Hills (the Science Diet people). 'Nuff said. ;) Basically, vets will always blame the raw diet whenever anything goes wrong simply b/c they know nothing about it (or nutrition generally). You're not having 3 otherwise healthy cats get sick b/c of e.coli.

Sounds to me as if there's a virus (which will NOT be helped by antibiotics) going around. You can bring those in yourself. Some viruses can actually pass between humans and cats. You've had tummy viruses, I assume? There's really very little you can do other than let them run their course, and antibiotics will do nothing other than further disrupt the intestinal flora.

I would stick to bland, plain food (chicken, perhaps, NOT cooked), feed less than usual (with a dog you might fast but you really can't do that w/ a cat), and esp. if you're going to give the abios, give a probiotic (from the health food store refrigerated section, NOT Walmart or the drug store) to help repopulate the GI tract w/ good bacteria after the abios kill it all. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts