Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw diet/human health question

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 ·
Hi all
I've been feeding raw now for nearly a year! Yay! And its all going well.
But my Mum said somethng the other day that made me stop and think!
If I feed my guys (raw of course) then they come over and lick me - is that potentially dangerous? And cat clean themselves - if my guys eat then wash (which they do) are they potentially spreading bacteria from the meat all over themselves that I'm then going to touch/kiss/smush my face into?
What do you think?

#3 ·
Taken from Species-Inappropriate: The Dangers of Dry Food

Recent pet food recalls involving salmonella contamination were commonly for dry pet food.¹² Dry food can be more dangerous than raw diets for the reason that people are not cautious about handling it. With raw food, safe handling and feeding practices are followed, so contamination is unlikely.
In other words I'd be more worried if the cat was eating dry food than if you were feeding raw:wink:wink

#5 · (Edited)
This is actually one of the biggest controversies about raw feeding that is going on right now. There was a study done by a Canadian veterinarian that indicates that dogs fed a raw diet are significantly more likely to shed salmonella and e. coli than dogs fed non-raw. This study and some other inputs are the basis for Delta Society (a large organization for Pet Therapy dogs) to ban raw fed dogs from their program, citing that immuno compromised people should not be exposed to dogs shedding salmonella and e. coli.

There are plenty of responses around the internet attacking the study, but the little I've read are finger pointing in another direction to take the focus off the raw diets "well look at all the dry food recalls for salmonella" or "the number of dogs in the study isn't statistically valid". Yes, the dry foods have been recalled, but that doesn't mean that home created raw diets are a better solution, especially because there really is no way to know just how many pets are shedding pathogens. What the responses lack are any data at all to refute the claims of the study.

Personally, I don't think there's enough information to really draw any conclusions. But the information that is available is enough to make me err on the side of caution and not feed raw if a family member were immuno compromised.

This is the study in question:

www.asph.org/vetmed/ppt/lefebvre.ppt
(The link doesn't seem to work....copy and paste into another browser window or tab)

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The link to the actual study that Doodlebug references is here: Preliminary assessment of the risk of Salmonella infection in dogs fed raw chicken diets.

My major problem with Daniel J. Joffe's many "studies" is twofold. First, they universally ignore the fact that common sense handling of cat and dog poop completely alleviates any potential risk of bacterial shedding that may be present. Exactly the same way pregnant woman are told to manage the minimal but widely known risk of Toxoplasmosis.

And second, if you check the footnotes of Joffe's 2009 study, Perceptions, practices, and consequences associated with foodborne pathogens and the feeding of raw meat to dogs, you will see he has a relationship to Nestle Purina.

In other words, he's being paid to "prove" that raw-feeding is dangerous to our pets and our families.

As to the original question, it's one I had myself when I first started feeding raw. I can't recall reading something specific that I could point you to and say, "here's why it's perfectly safe", however, hugging my kitties and getting kisses from them is not something I worry about. Not even for a second.

The bacterial loads of fresh raw foods is substantially lower than that of commercially-produced foods. The feeding of raw meats to our pets should be of no more worry than the feeding of steaks and barbecued chicken to our families, as long as we use the same safe handling practices and keep our counters and our pets eating areas clean.

#11 ·
I just asked my vet out of curiosity. I would not consider a raw diet. And it's salmonella that worries me. In addition, (I'm sorry,) but I find the idea disgusting. Our cats and dogs are pets, not wild animals to be given live and raw food. I don't usually post here. I'm sure you all think you're doing the best for your pets, however. I just disagree, and I know how strongly you all feel about the way you feed your animals.

#12 · (Edited)
I pet, cuddle and kiss my cats and dogs. Right after they eat. :)

I agree with AC, if you eat meat yourself - then just practice safe meat handling and you should be fine. That said, I am often less than "safe" (I don't use anything other than water/soap/vinegar to wash, and have on occasion got "juice" in my mouth while cutting up meals) with my animals meat... and I still haven't died. ;)

#13 ·
Well, I see no problem with having a different opinion. However, I have noticed that other opinions are not welcome here. Respectful disagreement is acceptable and welcome in the Cat Forum. What you, AC, or Hoofmaiden say is not going to change my mind. I strongly suggest that they be respectful to those whose beliefs are not the same as theirs.

#14 ·
Sorry Jeanie, I changed my post before I saw yours. No one on the raw feeding side has been anything but respectful. :)

I merely couldn't make a eloquent reply without sounding defensive - because frankly, it does hurt to hear people think we could be doing anything to harm our beloved fur babies. :)

I agree, we all need to agree to disagree. That's the sole reason I barely post when people ask info about kibble.. because I don't agree with it, and I find it unfair to always be telling people my opinion that kibble isn't good. Because everyone does the best they know how, and we need to respect that! I haven't always been the best at being nice, but I am trying to keep the respect. I hope this shows that. :)

#16 · (Edited)
I don't think raw feeding is dangerous. I also spoke to a veterinarian (one of the most intelligent person I ever met, graduated from Cornell) and he said "that's the best thing you can do for your cat" when I told him I've been feeding raw for a few months. So if HE approved it, then I don't need to listen to anyone else. He specializes in cats only and is more passionate about them than anyone I know. That being said, no one has the right to bash anyone for not feeding raw. Just like no one has the right to criticize people for feeding kibble. Unless you have empirical evidence that proves raw food is the best then you have no right to claim that. It is just a matter of your opinion.

Btw, I do not think of my cats as "pets." I think of them as obligate carnivores who were designed to hunt and eat raw prey in the wild. Although they weren't domesticated recently, they did recently began eating cooked food processed by pet food companies. And you say that your vet is against raw feeding, well, if we all went with our vet's advice then we'd all be feeding kibble...wouldn't we? I thought it was a "well-known fact" that vets are not knowledgeble when it comes to nutrition. So why go to them about raw feeding questions? And if raw feeding is so dangerous, then why would there be a sub forum dedicated to it in this widely known cat forum? I don't think the admins/mods would ever promote something so dangerous.

I think all of this is a matter of face/logical validity. Cats are obligate carnivores, there are no ovens in the wild and they've been eating raw for millions of years. But I completely respect the idea of feeding canned food.

#17 · (Edited)
I beg your pardon? My vet did not recommend kibble, and I never said he or she did. You have the right to your opinion, but that does not take my rights away. And it is not in accordance with the rules. I'm quite disappointed; this sort of post is what keeps many people away from this particular forum. Many good members leave when not treated with respect.

Rule 1b. Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users.

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - Announcements in Forum : The Lounge

My animals are pets, members of my family, and I love them as such. I do what I believe is best for them. And you are welcome to do the same. I feel sorry for feral cats who have to kill to eat. So, we disagree. In fact, I moderate the feral forum, and I thank God for those who care for them.

The Cat Forum does not belong to you or me. We are only granted the privilege to be a member here, or serve here. The reason this particular section of the forum is here because I answered a request from Muzby and presented the idea to the owner, who was Catman (at that time.), and he complied with her request.

Vets can read, and have common sense. I would not go to one who recommended only kibble. In fact, I have never gone to a vet who recommended kibble. These men and women are intelligent, educated people. I think the ten or so years they spend studying their subject speak for that. Most, I'm sure, realize that an hour or two lecture by a representative from a cat food company is not sufficient!

You mentioned the word "recently." That's true. My mother's cats were fed bread and milk and scraps, and so were most cats at that time, but mine were fed canned from the time I was married and had my own cat.

Of course, as you said, you don't listen to anyone else. Are you here, then, only to represent your own views? We have some intelligent members. I know that I am still learning, and that learning is a lifelong project. I guess we disagree on almost everything. I'll leave it at that.

#18 ·
I think the OP has received answers to her questions. This thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.