Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I recently switched my kitten over to a store bought raw diet. He's a 5 m/o 7.5lbs domestic / mainecoon mix named Sir Alfie. So I usually dethaw about 1/4 cup of Stella & Chewy's frozen raw diet (duck duck goose) for each meal and I mix in some Primal goat milk and fish broth w/ fish shreds AND I crumble some freeze dried Stella & Chewy (duck duck goose) morsels on top. My kitten likes it but never finishes his plate and seems to enjoy grazing a lot. Is this normal? Am I doing too much?

Also, prior to the raw he was on commercial stuff and had the absolutely worst diarrhea (sorry, gross) and I had 3 fecal tests done and they've come back normal every single time so before I start spending hundreds of dollars on other tests, I figured I would see if his diet is the cause of it. He started his raw Wednesday night and has pooped once since. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's been great not having to deal with explosions but I just want to make sure this is normal. His last poop seemed great, deep brown color, it was a little soft in the beginning but i think his body was getting rid of the last of his commercial food because his log after that was nice and healthy looking.

Any feedback or recommendations are appreciated!! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
That may be too much food. How many times do you feed him? Is he active? If he isn't burning a lot of calories, that may be too much. What exactly do you mean graze? Cats are supposed to poop once a day, and he has twice since Wednesday? Today isn't over!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since he's still young, I pretty much give him as much food as he wants. I usually leave the plate out for him for 30 - 40 minutes and if its not done by then I'll put saran wrap over it and place it in the fridge until the next time he feels like eating. I'm praying that he poops today. Maybe I'm just overly worried...

When I say graze, I mean he likes to eat a little at a time. Has a few bites, leaves for 10 minutes, comes back and has another few bites.

He plays A LOT. I filled my house with multiple cat tunnels and there's cat toys scattered everywhere so I would say his activity level is pretty high.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If he's pooping, and it looks good, I wouldn't be too worried. As for him not eating all of his food, it may just be too much. I have three cats, and one of them would eat all day if he could! He is pretty lazy too. Maybe someone else on here can help you out some more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi! I found that cats on raw diets tend to poop less often than cats on a dry or wet diet because on a raw diet they absorb so much more nutrients. As long as your kitten is still using the litterbox, you should be good. What I do with my kittens is that I weigh out the amount of food they should eat for the whole day (usually 10%) and place it in a container. I feed them mutiple small meals a day instead of one or two big meals, so that they will eat everything in the bowl. I would also leave the meals out for less time, maybe 20 or so minutes because raw food spoils fast. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts