Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rocky the dog has now been switched to raw. He was the first one because he's had a food problem for a while. (No interest or indifference to eating commerical food no matter what brand, type of meat, wet or dry. Feeding him was a chore.)

He's been on it for 4 days and on the 4th day, he was actively TELLING me to feed him. Barking excitedly and leading me to the fridge with tail wagging and dancing the 'feed me' dance.

Before I switch Miu the cat over, I have some questions. Miu appears to be very food driven to the point of aggression but only in the morning. (She's fed twice a day). I've been attacked and bitten if I feed her too late for her liking. I always feed at 7am, but sometimes she'll start bugging me as early as 5am. This morning she bit me hard enough to draw blood. She seems more calm and waits patiently her evening meal though which is fed around 6pm. Does this mean I'm not feeding her enough at dinner time?

Would feeding raw make any difference to this? Is it even related?

I intend to continue feeding Miu twice a day. I'm wondering how it works out if I feed wet commercial in the mornings and raw at night. If it's 2-3% body weight daily, should I feed 1-1.5% for her dinner since she'll get a wet meal in the morning? I also have some Orijen dry food leftover. Is it okay if I mix up her morning wet along with the dry to finish it off?

Also, I'm very wary of starting her since she's had some LB problems lately. If she gets the runs, she might poop outside the LB again. How would I start her off? Can I just start on quail (with bone)? Or do I start on boneless chicken? (wouldn't her stools be soft?)

Seeing Rocky the dog crunching away at quail bone, skin and all, I feel quite confident that Miu will be able to handle a quail no problem at all. I feel a bit silly that I was so squeamish about the bone before. I consider Rocky a bit wimpy so if he can handle it, Miu will totally get it because she's the feisty one. I call her my savage little carnivore now. LOL!

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Try her on 1/4 quail, and see how she does. The biggest issue w/ most cats used to kibble/canned is complete lack of jaw strength. So you may need to cut up her meat a bit for a while until she gets stronger. I would not cut up bone-in stuff any smaller than a quail quarter, though. Feed 2X a day--bone-in at one meal, boneless at the other. Don't add liver or kidney until she's been eating raw a week or so and her stools look good. :)

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Miu appears to be very food driven to the point of aggression but only in the morning. (She's fed twice a day). I've been attacked and bitten if I feed her too late for her liking. I always feed at 7am, but sometimes she'll start bugging me as early as 5am. This morning she bit me hard enough to draw blood. She seems more calm and waits patiently her evening meal though which is fed around 6pm. Does this mean I'm not feeding her enough at dinner time?

Would feeding raw make any difference to this? Is it even related?
Maybe, maybe not. She may well feel more satisfied when fed raw.

You could try giving her a small bedtime snack to keep her full overnight. But try just getting her on raw first--see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try her on 1/4 quail, and see how she does. The biggest issue w/ most cats used to kibble/canned is complete lack of jaw strength. So you may need to cut up her meat a bit for a while until she gets stronger. I would not cut up bone-in stuff any smaller than a quail quarter, though. Feed 2X a day--bone-in at one meal, boneless at the other. Don't add liver or kidney until she's been eating raw a week or so and her stools look good. :)
1 meal bone-in and 1 meal boneless, isn't that too much bone?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I think I'm ready...was delayed with some stuff.

I know it's obsessive, but I've been worried about how I'm going to be able to manage both furkids at the same time. How do you guys feed your multiple furkids? I'm a worrywart so when I feed Rocky the dog, I sit there and watch him the entire time. However, I can't do that if both of them are eating at the same time. I'm wanting to isolate them in case they fight over the food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts