Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello!

I adopted my lovely domestic long hair cat a little over a year now, she was already a mature adult when I got her and was a stray we found and came to love. Over the last 8 months she has seemed to develop symptoms that are similar to IBD. I have taken her to the vets many times over the last 8 months, ran all the test you can think of, and the only answer we have gotten has been that she either has a severe case of IBD or cancer. I opted out from doing the scope on her for the official result because I simply can't afford that at the price of $2000.00.

As of now she is on medication, some of you may have heard of the drug prednisolone, well she is on that for life is what i am being told to control her chronic diarrhea. As much as the steroid has helped to keep things somewhat under control, she still relapses and goes through weeks of chronic diarrhea and then requires more medication to stop that too. 3 weeks ago I had to take her back to the vet to have her anal glands expressed due to the excessive soft or runny stool. Needless to say we are both getting frustrated!

I have talked to my vet about feeding RAW since I have heard that it has helped some cats who suffer from similar issues. Of course the vet advised against it and scared me off from trying it. So I just kept on feeding the cat her regular old cat food.

Today I got brave and decided, "enough is enough" what can I lose by trying this out? So I went to my local pet store and purchased some Nature's Variety Raw Chicken Medallions. At supper time I gave her 1 tsp to see if she would eat it, and she ate it with gusto! My dog ate hers too in a hurry!:D It looks like it won't be hard to get them on it but I will be doing this very slowly.

I suppose I am here to find out if any of you have had a cat or cats with IBD or even cancer, who have done well on this diet. Or if anyone has had problems feeding Raw since this will be my first time. I am a bit nervous, but as I stated at the end of my rope with what to do with my poor cats health. I really want to help her get better and maybe even get her off these awful drugs. Any advice on raw feeding do's and don'ts will be great, and any testimonials on feeding raw to cats with IBD would be very helpful. :kittyball

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's great that your cat is loving the raw food! I don't have any experience with IBD or cancer and am quite the novice when it comes to raw feeding, but I just wanted to say hi and encourage you to do what you think is right for your cat, and within your budget. There are vets out there who support that and will help you, or at the very least, not try to discourage you.

One thing I have noticed while trying to transition my cats over is that they will be very enthusiastic about something for a few days and then all of a sudden they hate it. My recommendation would be to have a back-up plan with different animal sources, or other brands of ready-made or DIY raw stuff. Keep canned food on hand as well, if they're just having a day when they don't want eat and you don't have time to convince her that this is yummy. Adding a little bit of canned pumpkin to it, or just getting her to lick a bit off your finger, might help with the stools. It's an amazing thing... it firms of soft stuff and it softens up hard stuff. A tablespoon or less a day is plenty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys for the advice. I saved the links to my favorites and I appreciate the reading material. Kitty is having diarrhea today :-|. She has been having diarrhea since last Friday when I had her anal glands expressed.

Yesterday was the first day that she was given a taste of raw. I only gave her one tsp to see how it would go, and as I stated above, she loved it. This morning, I gave her 2 tsp of raw along with her reduced canned food. She gobbled it all up and then ran to the litter box:fust. More diarrhea. She has been to the litter box 2x this a.m. and it is more than she has been going since Friday. But it is normal for her too to have frequent bathroom breaks when she has the runs. I feel bad for her because I had to lock her away in the spare room because her bum is so poopy. Poor Kitty.

I really hope that switching to raw will help her out. Since it is really sad to have to either crate her up or lock her in another room away from her family when she has a chronic case of the runs. I usually up her prednisolone to once a day for 4 days along with her anti diarrhea med when this happens. I am starting to think I should do that just to get her back on track, but I hate having to use more meds. But relief is good.

I really hope that feeding raw will be the answer to prayers. I am very hopeful but it might take a while. I don't know of any holistic vets in Hamilton, Ontario but it would be nice if I could find one that was local that could help us out. I will keep you guys posted on her progress. Oh and is there a way to balance out the NV bone content by adding anything?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoofmaiden, its funny you said to remove the commercial canned food she is eating because I called around a few raw pet food stores who said the same thing.8O She loves the raw food I have been giving her at the moment. It is the pre-made kind, Nature's Variety Chicken formula. I have heard that the bone content is too high in it, so I have started on a quest to find another brand.

Here in Hamilton Ontario my choices seem limited. I did find a shop in the next town over who sells a brand called Tolldan Farms. All the raw food is Human grade and species specific which Nature's Variety claims to be good for both dogs and cats and not human grade. So I am looking into trying that new brand this weekend. I figure that for now, she can get used to raw eating the NV chicken and we can try the new brand later next week.

I am unable to make my own raw at the moment, and I won't lie when I say I am a little intimidated with that task. I would like to give it a try though in a few months. Right now what I do like about the pre made is that it simulates her regular pate type food, which is why she may have took to it so well. So I figure getting her to switch to raw anything right now will likely be better than keeping her on that dreaded Fancy Feast (I know terrible stuff)8-O.

As I said before, she has chronic diarrhea. I am a little worried about changing the diet so fast, but at this point I am willing to try. Does anyone know if doing this will worsen the diarrhea? Or if I will see better results sooner than later?

I will be upping her dose of Prednisolone to 1x daily from her 1x every other day to get things under control under my vets advice. Only till things clear up than back to her regular routine. I sure hope that Raw feeding will eliminate having to use this drug completely!:cool

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I forgot to ask, If by chance she did have lymphoma, would feeding raw be a good idea still? We don't know if she does have cancer though as she has been treated for IBD mostly and her symptoms were diarrhea, lack of appetite and lethargy. Since that diagnosis back in March 2012 she has been on the Prednisolone and Tylosin in the event of a relapse. She usually does quite well, always hungry, still playful, but only gets the dreaded chronic diarrhea that often lasts days to weeks at a time. During this whole time her weight has been a steady 9-10 lbs and if anything she easily gains weight if not following a strict diet. Just want to be on the safe side, and hope Raw is okay for cancer patients too just in case I am dealing with that and am unaware.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoofmaiden,

The only reason I am unable to do fresh homemade at the moment is simply because I have to share a fridge and freezer with 2 roommates, and lack the space needed to freeze the meat for my little girl. However, I will be moving to my own place as of the 2nd and will have a full fridge and freezer at my disposal. Then I can go ahead and start on the journey of making some real homemade cat food.

I could only get my hands on 2 billion active cultures of acidophiles, can I still use that? Can I just break it up into 2 pills per meal for now till I can get to a GNC? She would be getting 8 billion a day not the amount you suggested but I hope it would help still.

I also picked her up some plain pureed pumpkin, fed her one tsp and to my surprise she ate it. I hope that might help with her current diarrhea. Tonight when I serve her her dinner, should I just mix in a couple of those capsules? Also can I buy some B12 for her at the vitamin store or does what she need require a trip to the vet?

I have read about all the horrid side effects of the Pred, and it scares me. That is why I decided that I had nothing to lose by trying the raw diet. Raw something anyway since all this canned cat food is not helping at all, and the vet food is a joke!:fust

Oh and on a side note, does everyone here freeze their meat first before feeding, or do you feed fresh from the grocery store?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Pumpkin has helped Jitzu in the past, I have to be careful giving it to her, but it has helped. She had IBD before our switch to raw. She still has a picky stomach, especially when she's sick, but it's much better now that she's on raw.

Pumpkin is good to help soothe their stomach and add fiber (the point of fiber is to NOT be digested), to help firm up her stools. Raw will also help, but initially I think adding a little bit of pumpkin is also a good idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave Kitty some acidophilus on her dinner tonight. I gave her raw only. 8O Today since starting her raw last night, she has been having more diarrhea. She has been to the litter box at least 4x today and the day is still young.

I am slightly worried that the transition is causing some extra trips to the litter box. I am starting to wonder if things will get worse before they get better. I really hope the raw food will help clear things up for her soon. I have read so many good things about feeding raw, but I have not read much about if diarrhea gets worse before things change or not. If anything I have mostly read the opposite.

I gave some pumpkin in hopes to give some relief. I hope I am not going over board on trying stuff. If the diarrhea gets real bad, should I introduce the raw slower? Poor Kitty has been covered in poop all day. Not such a nice day.:? At least she likes the raw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I joined the felineibd forum. Told them what was up and I got this response.

Hello there, and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your cat.It's not really recommended to give raw to an
immune-compromised kitty - which would include a cat taking prednisolone. I
mention this only because I did the same myself, and my cat had his worst-ever
flare-up, was hospitalised and ended up on a feeding tube for 6 weeks. This
wouldn't happen for every kitty, I'm sure. It may be that I should have minced
the turkey myself - I bought supermarket turkey mince and my cat subsequently
tested positive for salmonella.

I think raw is an excellent diet for cats, my kitty loved it and I'd certainly
feed raw if I had a kitten now, but my cats' systems are too compromised to
handle it now I think.

You could take raw meat, seal it on the outside to kill bacteria but leave the
inside uncooked. Raw feeders will say that's not really raw, and they will have
a point...

Others will have more to say, I'm sure. Anyway it's good news that your cat is
eating well.

All the best,
Wendy

This freaks me out a little. Does this mean because she is on prednisolone that I should not bother giving her raw? If so I suppose she will never eat raw as she is said to have a life long relationship with this nasty drug! I hope I am not taking any huge risks here with trying to get her on raw. I don't have any help from any vets as no one wants me to feed raw in the vet community. I came to this site knowing that some of you have had cats with this problem, now I ask... were they also on this drug before going raw?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so you all will probably think I am nuts but I went over to the just answer site and attempted to ask a vet about her condition and the risks involved while being on Prednisolone. I gave them the brand of the pre made raw I am feeding and was told this:

They said that the nature's variety is a good choice for her considering the way they prepare the raw food using a high pressure processing. Making it a safer raw diet for her as apposed to the homemade type.

Nature's Variety: Learn about Raw: Raw Diet Quality & Safety Assurance | Nature's Variety

The main concern when feeding raw to a pet on immune suppressive drugs like prednisolone is the cat is more susceptible to illnesses and pathogens, bacterial infections etc. So feeding raw supermarket meat may not be the best idea for her right now. Also she suggested to get the cats diarrhea under control for now with her crappy food and all before gradually doing the change to raw to avoid explosive problems in the litter box. In regards to the higher than desired bone content of NV she said adding some pumpkin will likely help with any unwanted constipation.

She stated that she has a dog with IBD who is treated with prednisolone who she feeds a raw diet to and has had no problems. So that makes me feel a bit safer about feeding my cat the raw diet.

For now I think I will just try to get things under control, and then resume the transition slowly. I would love to just make the switch cold turkey but I am afraid this is going to be too hard on the cat at this time. For the next 5 days we will be back on a 1x a day dose of prednisolone and a 2x a day tylosin, a tsp of pumpkin and a capsule of acidophiles. Hopefully things will calm down for Kitty and we can start our way to feeding the raw diet once and for all.

As always, all advice is welcome. And thank you everyone for being patient with me as I am a complete noob when it comes to all of this! :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today after reading your messages I decided to move forward with feeding Kitty the raw food. So far she seems to be doing well and seems really lively. She usually wakes me up in the morning batting at my face to get up to feed her, but instead of that she decided to make a ton of racket playing at her scratcher and batting her dingle ball.

I found one liquid stool in the litter box this morning before her morning feed, but since breakfast she has not been to the litter box at all. Now I am unsure if that's just because her diarrhea meds are finally kicking in or if the food is starting to help. Guess I won't know until she comes off the medication. She is loving the raw food and seems to be tolerating it well. :catmilkI hope to eventually see if we can get her off the medication or at least reduce it down to the lowest possible dose if she must remain on it. I will keep you posted on her progress and keep reading all your suggestions and ideas on how to continue to do this safely.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Today has been a very good day!
Kitty really loves the raw food and is constantly begging for more!:D I have to keep her on a schedule though but she is always excited for dinner! She has not had any poop at all today with the exception of the one she had early this morning which was very loose, but she is making progress. :thumb

Since feeding her the raw food I have noticed that she has been acting very lively like as if she was a kitten again, which is new. She usually sleeps most of a day away sometimes playing a little but for the most part just sleeps. Today she has been on the move, running, chirping, and chasing me around for food. She has even been more affectionate.
I am really liking this change. I just hope things continue to go well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far so good!:D All of yesterday Kitty did very well! She is still eating some of her old diet but she is really coming along and seems to be taking the raw food really well. She did not poop at all yesterday, and this morning when I went to feed her her meal, she still had not had a poop.

After about an hour she did enter the littler box, and I waited to see what was going to be left behind..... waited.... waited... and out she came. I looked to see if she was a mess and all looked good. So I then went to inspect what she "made". It was not at all exciting to see that she had only passed another soft stool, but better than liquid I suppose. And if she is only in the box 1x a day, it is better than 3-4x.

I have been having trouble finding other brands of HPP commercial raw food here in my end of Ontario. The only one I can get right now is the NV. I know that a prey diet is more ideal for Kitty, but because she is on those awful meds, I figure taking this thing slow might be a good idea. at least till her body starts to heal from all this bad cat food. All that I can get for her are high grade raw diets that are not HPP. I am very interested in trying to get some Primal, but that is hard to get my hands on right now. I am mostly concerned with the possibility of her getting constipated on the NV. I am not sure now what I should do to help that while she is on the NV. Should I get her some organic canned cat food to go with the NV? Or are there any supplements I can give to keep things regular? 8O

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another good day so far!

Hoofmaiden, the only reason why I am not going for the prey model diet right now is as you know because of the lack of space (which will change soon). Also because I am just trying to ease her into this new diet slowly to get her used to it. So far she is doing very well and I think once I get her on prey model, she will likely go for it easily. I do want to get her immune system in a good state too first because she has been sick for a long time. Maybe I will get her some meaty meat for now just to start that transition too, and see how she takes to it. I am heading out to the grocery store tonight, so I will see what I can get!

Funny thing is, last night I was thinking about this raw diet all night, I had a flash back of the time when someone suggested feeding raw meat to my hamster. I gave the hamster a little hamburger meat which was what was suggested and she loved it! Go figure. I didn't even know hamsters ate meat lol. So raw became part of her diet from that point on. Looks like I will be getting there with my cat too. I would love to feed her a mouse someday. We will get there slowly but surely.

I was telling my sister that I am converting my cat to raw food, and she was very interested. She told me her cat eats kibble and I had to tell her that she was feeding her cat the worst kind of diet and to at least get her on wet food. She sounded interested in trying to see if her cat would even like to eat the raw even as a snack. Before you know it I will be telling everyone to feed their cats raw! :eek:rcat

·
Registered
59 Posts
:catmilk Today is day 5 for Kitty's transition to her raw diet. So far it has been great! She has taken it really well and I am so glad that this transition is going so smoothly. Originally she was fed a wet diet of Fancy Feast, 2 cans a day every day for the last 7 months since her IBD diagnosis. She has done okay on this diet but she has constant relapses of diarrhea that seems to last weeks. After much thought and research for many months, I decided to give the raw thing a try. Even against my vets advice, with trying to scare me off. I figure I have nothing to loose and more to gain even on a financial level! I am really hoping that once she is totally transitioned, we will be well on our way to seeing the vet a lot less. :D

So as stated it is day 5, we are down to feeding Kitty only a half can of her Fancy Feast diet, and the rest is raw. We have come a long way from her 2 cans a day on Fancy Feast! I have not noticed any litter box issues, but her stool is still soft which I expect till she is eating all raw. Her habits have been 1x a day and to my surprise she is also not peeing as much maybe 2x a day at most. 8O Today I bought her lamb raw food. Not sure if she was going to like it, it was a risk to buy it since the pet store would not do returns. I only gave her a tsp to see if she would eat it at all and she seemed to really like it. She even did the little kitty head shake that kitty's do that really like something, so I was happy. I think I will take it easy getting her used to that meat source, and give her 1 tsp at dinner time and increase that amount over the next few days. All in all, things are looking up, and in the next few days she will be eating an all raw diet! I can't wait! Go Kitty Go!:thumb I will let you know if she continues to improve.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was trying to do the gradual transition to the raw food, but she is pretty much on all raw so far, this morning she was given all raw and no Fancy Feast. She usually has a poop by now and so far this morning and afternoon she has not had a poop at all. Maybe things are getting better. I hope to see results in the litter box soon. How often does a cat poop on a all raw diet? I have heard it is normal for them to not go for up to 2 days, is this true?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes you both did tell me that. I have noticed that she seems to improve more as I feed less of the old diet and more of the raw. Yesterday was the last day of eating the Fancy Feast. So today is the official day of all raw food. I am glad she is eating it without a problem, and as I stated, something is definitely changing in the inside. She usually goes poop every day sometimes 2 or more times a day depending on if they stool is soft or semi soft. Today she has not gone at all. I hope she will have a normal poop now on the new diet. If I don't see a poop in the box in 2 days should I be concerned? I have also noticed less urine output. She seems to only be peeing once or twice a day. Is this normal too?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well Today Is day 7. I got some good news and some bad news. Kitty ate all raw yesterday, no Fancy Feast at all. She did not poop at all yesterday and I expected that might happen. :roll:

I will start with the good news. :-o The good news is she finally did poop this morning! What was even better was her poop was a solid for once, still soft but I would say on a scale of 1-5 for firmness, it was a 3. :-o After breakfast which again was all raw, part chicken and the other 1/4 rabbit, she went to the litter box again. When she was done I went to check what she left behind. Sure enough I found diarrhea. :crying I was a bit disappointed but it is normal for her too. :fust

She seems to be doing well so far, but I really help that this new diet will prove to be the better alternative as it regards her diarrhea problem. I just hope we are on the right track in finally finding a solution to her problem that doesn't involve a whole pharmacy of drugs. I will keep you updated on the progress. I have my fingers crossed that better news will be on the way.:-o

1 - 20 of 24 Posts