Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've heard people mention feeding raw eggs. I am not a huge egg eater myself, although I did just buy a dozen to bake some cookies. How do I feed a raw egg to the cats? As is? Is an egg a rare treat? Any unpleasant side effects to be expected (ie. runny stools)?

Thank youuuu!

-BP

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Egg can result in diarrhea if you give too much or they're not used to them. I have pet chickens, but I usually give the eggs to the dogs. Occasionally I'll split one b/t the 3 cats (put in bowl, whisk to mix yolk and white, and then divide into 3 bowls). I would NOT give one cat a whole egg.

I would say that IMO it's a waste to feed eggs UNLESS you feed organic eggs with a high omega 3 content. Many commercial eggs have a very LOW omega 3 content b/c they, like many cattle, are grain-fed (which results in low 3s and too-high 6s). If you can find organic eggs that state high omega 3 content, that may be worth it. Otherwise, not really.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You feed it as more of a treat than anything, I've tried but Willie doesn't think so lol. You can just crack it into a bowl and mix it up, the shell can be fed too. But yes it can result in loose stool in some cats.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty, thank you :)

I think I will split an egg between the 2 and see how that goes. I rarely have eggs in the house so it will be infrequent, but I can't pass up trying out a new food so long as it's alright!

-BP

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Mine love eggs, I usually split 2 eggs between the four cats, about twice a month. I whisk them up, sometimes i add some parmesean cheese for a treat, then i pour it onto their meal. Usually something ground because that's their least fav, lol.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I had read that raw eggs were not good for cats, even though my mother fed them to her cat, and I used to make egg nogs for them. (worse yet!) So I double checked and found this:

Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029

There is a long list of foods which could be harmful to cats. I would imagine that a "sometimes treat" would be all right though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeanie said:
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029
Avidin! I learned all about avidin. It can have similar effects in humans if raw eggs are consumed in large quantities.

I imagine that like many things it would be alright in moderation :)

Does anyone know if B12 stores in cats "last" as they do in humans? In humans B12 is extremely well reabsorbed in humans, unless there has been intestinal (specifically ileal) removal.

Thanks!

-BP

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
You really don't have to worry about the avidin thing unless, as Siameseifuplz said, they are a huge part of the diet.

B12 has nothing to do w/ biotin . . . and cats get plenty on a raw diet, so no worries. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your great responses!!

I split a raw egg between ET and Lacey last night, and they went CRAZY!!! I was kind of surprised... I mean I would eat chicken, even kidney, but have no desire to eat a raw egg. ET lapped it all right up and licked his bowl for about 5 minutes even after it was gone.

Elizabeth, that was a great comment about getting organic/high quality eggs. While I don't plan to feed eggs on a too-regular basis, I definitely won't hesitate to give them a high quality egg as a treat once in a while.

-BP

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use quail, duck and hen eggs to my cat diet, I did not remove the white, cause egg yolk is super rich of B12 and those CHUNK raw meat as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts