Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kittens will be weaning sometime in the near future, and starting on high quality canned food. I'd like to give raw food as an extra, and I've looked at pre-made raw diets, but they are rather expensive. I'm new to all this, so excuse my ignorance :))) - can I just go to the grocery store and pick up meat for them? What kind and how much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
while i do use some premade - keep in mind, that premade for a cat is VERY reasonable because you can get 1 lb of food for 3-4 bucks and have that last over a week. NOT much at all! alternatively, my dog eats 2 lbs a day and thats NOt reasonable.

i buy premade for some meals andi pay under $1/lb.

from the foodstore, things that can be bough:

ribs - pork, beef - my cat gnaws the meat off and loves them!
neck bones - pork and beef again - good gnawing potential.
i also just buy steaks, rump roasts, etc and cut off cubes for the cat occassionally for meaty meals.

(please note, for each of them, eating the bones is unlikely. MUCH too hard and large).

fish - whole fish. fed only occassionally. frankie adores whole fish.

poultry - cornish game hens, turkey, chicken - you name it. necks, wings, breasts, anything is possible. your limits are only what your cat will eat!

i feed some of all of these things - i dont get good lamb from the foodstore (and honestly, only some of my meat comes from there anyway). but the cat normally just eats a tiny bit of whatever the dog has :) this morning it was bone-in chicken breasts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Sure you can supplement with regular raw meat. I would however mix some calcium in the meat if you server more than 50 grams a day.
If you find chicken necks, get them. The cats love them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
ground meats from the foodstore normally have the highest bacterial loads. however, you can feed itif you feel comfortable (i have) - however, know that if you feed too much, its nowhere near balanced and you need to add calcium/bone meal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
All you will ever need to know:

www.catnutrition.org

You can buy all the supplements online at VitaminShoppe.com if you don't have a good vitamin store close to you.

Don't worry about the cost. Yesterday, in fact, I made a complete cost analysis for the recipe on the site given above, and an 6-oz. portion came out to be about $0.35. This is in comparison with $0.99 that a high-quality canned food like "Natural Balance" costs! And, once you sort out all the supplements and such it shouldn't take more than an hour to make a batch for a couple of weeks and freeze it! Welcome to the world of kitty health, appreciation, and energy! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
ahhh - but not everyone feeds that recipe or agrees with it :) but it is MUCh cheaper for me to feed raw to my cat than kibble/canned. the cost is significantlyless than what it costs my dog as well. the larger the animal, the less cost-effective it is

=kim, who is feeding a 100 lb doberman and a 7 lb DH raw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
kim said:
ahhh - but not everyone feeds that recipe or agrees with it :) but it is MUCh cheaper for me to feed raw to my cat than kibble/canned. the cost is significantlyless than what it costs my dog as well. the larger the animal, the less cost-effective it is

=kim, who is feeding a 100 lb doberman and a 7 lb DH raw.
If you do not agree with that recipe, can you please say why?? I am very open minded and if I could get by without buying all the SEVEN supplements or substitute Kelp or Dulse (the hardest to find) with something else, I'd consider that option, so please share! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
genEus said:
kim said:
ahhh - but not everyone feeds that recipe or agrees with it :) but it is MUCh cheaper for me to feed raw to my cat than kibble/canned. the cost is significantlyless than what it costs my dog as well. the larger the animal, the less cost-effective it is

=kim, who is feeding a 100 lb doberman and a 7 lb DH raw.
If you do not agree with that recipe, can you please say why?? I am very open minded and if I could get by without buying all the SEVEN supplements or substitute Kelp or Dulse (the hardest to find) with something else, I'd consider that option, so please share! :)
My thoughts about the recpies at www.catnutrition.org are_

- It's great when it comes to showing what proportions of different meats and organs that can work

- It uses to many supplements though
- It doesn't contain veggies even though a wild cat would eat some veggies indirectly through their prey

It's both good and less good :wink:

The only supplemets I give are iodine (often by using salt substitute, but sometimes I use kelp), fish oil (the kind I use is combined with vitamin E though I don't think vitamin E is necessary to supplement with) and calcium lactate (when I don't feed bones). My cats get vitamin B-pills for treats, they've always been given that so I sometimes forget that it's actuarally a supplement.

But the recipe is definately a good start, but things like dulse, gelatine and glandular supplements are, in my opinion, not necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Sol said:
genEus said:
kim said:
ahhh - but not everyone feeds that recipe or agrees with it :) but it is MUCh cheaper for me to feed raw to my cat than kibble/canned. the cost is significantlyless than what it costs my dog as well. the larger the animal, the less cost-effective it is

=kim, who is feeding a 100 lb doberman and a 7 lb DH raw.
If you do not agree with that recipe, can you please say why?? I am very open minded and if I could get by without buying all the SEVEN supplements or substitute Kelp or Dulse (the hardest to find) with something else, I'd consider that option, so please share! :)
My thoughts about the recpies at www.catnutrition.org are_

- It's great when it comes to showing what proportions of different meats and organs that can work

- It uses to many supplements though
- It doesn't contain veggies even though a wild cat would eat some veggies indirectly through their prey

It's both good and less good :wink:

The only supplemets I give are iodine (often by using salt substitute, but sometimes I use kelp), fish oil (the kind I use is combined with vitamin E though I don't think vitamin E is necessary to supplement with) and calcium lactate (when I don't feed bones). My cats get vitamin B-pills for treats, they've always been given that so I sometimes forget that it's actuarally a supplement.

But the recipe is definately a good start, but things like dulse, gelatine and glandular supplements are, in my opinion, not necessary.
Hmmm okay I was just starting to convince myself to dive into raw diet feedings and saw that recipe as a starting point. Is it not good ? Are there better recipes ?? If so why and where can I get them ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
BengalCat: The recipe can be used but you don't have to add all the supplements. You don't have to supplement with glandulars, gelatine or dulse.

I recommend joining the yahoo-group RawPaws. You'll get some great info from all the members there and you'll get access to some really good info about how to start. They have some really good articles to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Here's a rough idea how my catfood is combined:

55-65 % muscle meat
20-30 % heart
10 % liver
5 % veggies

I supplement with calcium (when I don't use bones, but when I feed chicken I grind the chicken bones), iodine, fish oil and vitamin B-complex.

I like to keep it simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Sol said:
Here's a rough idea how my catfood is combined:

55-65 % muscle meat
20-30 % heart
10 % liver
5 % veggies

I supplement with calcium (when I don't use bones, but when I feed chicken I grind the chicken bones), iodine, fish oil and vitamin B-complex.

I like to keep it simple.
Do you just supplement with Calcium supplement or some specific food high in calcium? What about 4% cottage cheese or 12% milk or half and half?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
genEus said:
Sol said:
Here's a rough idea how my catfood is combined:

55-65 % muscle meat
20-30 % heart
10 % liver
5 % veggies

I supplement with calcium (when I don't use bones, but when I feed chicken I grind the chicken bones), iodine, fish oil and vitamin B-complex.

I like to keep it simple.
Do you just supplement with Calcium supplement or some specific food high in calcium? What about 4% cottage cheese or 12% milk or half and half?
Usually my catfood contains enough bones to cover the calcium needs, but when I don't use bones I supplement with calcium lactate. I never feed dairy products. My theory is to feed my cats as natural as possible and that do not include dairy products. But if ones cat tolerates dairy products it shouldn't be a problem to supplement with cottage cheese or such, but I have no idea how much one would have to give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
yup to what sol said :)

there are supplements in that food that are nowhere near necessary. at this point, i havent supplemented my cat with anything though i may consider a "one a day" type supplement. the dog gets a few things only because i need extra hip/joint/neck support for his 100 lb frame.

i think that you can manipulate a diet tp provide essential nutrients. i think that is more natural than anything - and id ont believe that each and every meal i feed needs to be balanced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
I've found out that the longer you've been feeding raw, the less supplements you give.

When I started out, these are the supplements you could find in my kitchen:
- bone meal
- calcium lactate
- calcium carbonate
(Yes, THREE different kinds of calcium supplements, everyone thinks the other one is better than the other)
- wheat germ oil
- kelp
- salt substitute
- brewers yeast
- fish oil

Today I use:
- calcium lactate (when I don't feed bones)
- kelp
- fish oil

Brewers yeast is given for treats. With time I hope I'll be able to exclude supplements completely. I'm using the last few drops of fish oil now and don't plan on buying any more since I've started to feed small amounts of raw fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
that is definitely the truth - i think in the beginning we are all so concerned about nutritional imbalances that we overreact (isnt that true with everything?) - and most of the commerically available recipes contain a lot of supplements, a lot of veggies, grains, etc --

as time goes by, i just become more comfortable in what i feed. its a natural thought process, as well as just more assured. when i first started feeding raw, i was concernd my dog would vomit or choke, concerned about a lot of things. i wantd to do it, but was prepard to stop at any point if i saw things that were not working.

now, i know how far i can take things, and feed much more whole prey, etc. i had supplements in the beginning too - lots of them. now they sit in my kitchen unused except for some random ones.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top