Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear forum members,

I need your help and advise on what to get for a ***raw food feeding*** for a severe IBD ridden 9 year old cat. It's getting very urgent. She was 16 lbs in Feb 2017 and is about 8 lbs now.

I've read online topics but I'm still confused. I need to understand: Do I just go to the local grocery store, pickup raw food and throw it in a bowl? What types of food and is there any other preparation or vitamins needed as supplementation? Is there any prepared veterinary raw food packages that I can buy specifically for cats?

The history is that our female spayed cat of 9 year old started with diarrhea and some vomiting back in Feb 2017. She continues to have a ravenous healthy appetite. Only symptom right now (15 months later) is weight loss and vomiting with some diarrhea. Severity waxes and wanes. She had an US and they perform needle aspirate and suspected IBD or possibly - small cell lymphoma. We tried Predlisolone, but now on Budsinonide and then in last two months we added Chlorambucil. We also sporadically added Flagyl for short periods. Only thing that has had any effect was Flagyl on the diarrhea - all else has been unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Pretty Desperate for a Solution!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Hi there,

I tried raw for my kitty last year, not for IBD but because her holistic vet recommended it for her CKD. She liked it at first but then wouldn't eat it, unfortunately.

Some members here do homemade raw, which does require supplementing, and also watching the balance of bone, muscle, organ meats. That was way too much for me to deal with; the mere idea of having to handle all of that raw meat made me queasy. On the other hand, the huge benefit is that you can control exactly what goes into the food.

The commercial raw diets that you can buy are frozen and all are complete; you wouldn't need to add anything to them. I don't know whether the big pet stores carry them or not, but if you have a local, independent pet food store, that's your best bet. You'll find the raw food in a freezer. Primal, Rad Cat, Instinct, and Stella & Chewy's seem to be the big brands for commercial frozen raw and are generally the easiest to find. My vet also recommended a brand named Answers. I like Instinct, and my kitty liked the Instinct dry rabbit food, but their raw seems to have a higher bone content than others, which can cause digestive issues, and there was a recent post by a member whose kitty developed hypercalcemia, I believe. You can take a peek in the health & nutrition forum or do a search for that thread.

I also tried a couple of brands that my local store didn't carry but that deliver on dry ice, Darwin's and Balanced Blends.

What I liked about the Instinct was that it came in little nuggets, so it was easy to take just a few out and didn't require a lot of time to thaw, just a few minutes.

I would think that you'd want to change over very slowly, especially with an IBD kitty. I hope doodlebug will see this and be by. She knows a lot about raw foods and also had an IBD kitty.

Just wondering if you've tried eliminating certain ingredients to see if it's a food sensitivity rather than IBD?

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Hi MyCats,
Have you had a thyroid test ran on her?
I sure hope you find some answers soon, a cat dropping that much weight, is definitely worrisome.
Keeping all paws crossed for you both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts