Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yep, I do. Not always, mainly because sometimes I forget to thaw it out, and since I moved recently, the situation makes it much harder to make their food. However, my gang of five do much better on the raw food, and they prefer it to anything else.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1 Posts
raw food diet

Hi There,
I feed all my animals a raw food diet (2 german shepherds, rottwieler, and one very hungry rescue kitten).
I went to raw food after one of my GSD developed inflammatory bowel diease. He was going to spend his life on pred, if we did not find another solution. my vet warned me against switching his diet, but I felt I had nothing to lose. Within two weeks all of his bowel problems disappeared. He used to have to be coaxed to eat, but when I switched to raw food he became a great eater. He has been drug free for almost 3 years and has no more evidence of this awful disease. All of their coats look great, and they have very clean white teeth.
I use a product called Steves Real Food. I believe their website is www.stevesrealfood.com. It is a complete diet and does not require additional supplements (I do add Halo's Dream Coat however). I also give all the dogs a whole turkey neck as well once a week. I have not tried the chicken bones for the kitten, but plan to try in the future.
There are several other manufactures of complete raw foods that make it easier if making it yourself is an inhibitor. I would have to make too much volume for all my animals, so I elect to buy it instead. It is more expensive, but the convenience it worth the additonal price to me.
Be aware many vets do not support this diet, in fact, mine does not. However, most have spent little time researching pet nutrition. I let my experience and my dogs health, appearence, and vitality speak for itself.
The kitten loves the food. I bring hers to room temp., but be careful not to overheat it or you will kill the important digestive enzymes that raw food diets provide. Hope this helps! Good luck, you cat will thank you!!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
DONT GIVE THE KITTEN CHICKEN BONES!!!!
Im sure ive read that chicken bones are dangerous to all animals because of the way they splinter and can get stuck in the throat or cut on their way down the throat. And because of the bristles cats have on their tounges in makes it virtually imposible to bring something like that back up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bones

Raw bones do not splinter. They're quite pliable. Only cooked bones are dangerous. In the wild, cats eat every part of the animal.... including bones and fur/feathers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: raw food diet

donnabrian said:
Be aware many vets do not support this diet, in fact, mine does not. However, most have spent little time researching pet nutrition. I let my experience and my dogs health, appearence, and vitality speak for itself.
My vet hasn't said much about it either for or against. I think he is fairly ignorant of natural nutrition and knows that, so he refrains from discussing it.

The kitten loves the food. I bring hers to room temp., but be careful not to overheat it or you will kill the important digestive enzymes that raw food diets provide. Hope this helps! Good luck, you cat will thank you!!
Thanks, but I really wasn't looking for any help. I'm just looking for like-minded people. I skimmed over all the threads and didn't notice any discussions regarding natural foods or holistic medicine, and that is why I asked.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
For those of us who aren't educated about it, could you guys give some tips on what exactly you feed your cats? Where to buy the food would also be helpful information. I haven't heard of anyone near me doing this, so the information isn't easily available, but I'm interested in it if it is good for my cats. I'd rather hear from people who actually do it and do it safely than try to find out from my vet or people around here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have three cats with different tastes, so I'm still experimenting. This week, two of the cats are eating a blend of ground turkey, an egg, zucchini, and brown rice, with chicken broth to make it not so sticky. I also add a powdered supplement that contains brewers yeast, wheat bran, and kelp, among other things, and calcium powder. I give them cod liver oil and vitamin E a couple of times a week.

The other cat's favorite food (so far) is ground chicken with zucchini, brown rice, and alfalfa sprouts. There is also a bit of broth and some Cat Sip (lactaid for cats) in her food.

A great resource for natural cat care is The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier. I've tried to "go raw" two or three times before with no success. This book helped us make the transition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how are your cats receiving nutrients such as taurine? I think the natural diet sounds really interesting, but I don't know a lot about it at this time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Luxy refuses to eat ANYTHING but her dry food. I've trid giving her chicken, turkey and ham...she snubed them all. Even TUNA! I guess the raw food diet is not an option with her. She even hates kitty treats! :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
taurine

Taurine is naturally found in animal tissue.... especially the skeletal muscles, heart, brain and eyes of mammals, as well as in the meat of clams and oysters. Adding organ meats to their diets provides sufficient taurine, though some cats who have been raised on commerical cat food don't seem to recognize organ meats as something edible. In those cases, taurine supplements are available. I have two cats who like organ meats and one who doesn't.

The reason taurine has to be "added" to commerical cat food is because the processing of kibble and wet food destroys most of the nutrients that were already in the meat. Also, most kibble-type foods aren't much meat at all, but grains and by-products. Cats in the wild don't live off of wheat, beaks, and feathers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts