Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my co-volunteers at the shelter has asked me for information on feeding raw. She is considering it because one of her cats has been diagnosed with IBD.

I don't feed raw personally but during shelter conversations, I have talked about some of the raw topics that I've read about here in the forum (prey models, source meats, commercial raw, etc), so she thought I would have information.

In addition to Dr. Pierson's website as a general nutrition resource, are there any sites or suggestions I can give her for researching raw, especially with an IBD cat?

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
My first question is whether they think the IBD is an immune response or just a food intolerance. If it's the latter, then raw is a good choice, however she chooses to implement it.

If they believe it's an immune response, then she needs to be careful about raw and I consider it a last ditch effort. When IBD is immune related it means that the immune system is in overdrive and sees the food as a foreign organism that needs to be destroyed. Since raw can have a higher bacteria level, it could drive the immune system even harder making things worse. If the cat is doing really poorly on other food types and she wants to try raw, I suggest using a commercial food and one that uses high pressure pasteurization to kill any bacteria. As opposed to human food, these foods are intended to be fed raw and are handled with that in mind.

That said, Kobi has immune based IBD, he's on a raw diet and the brand does not use HPP...nothing else worked for him (canned food, even very novel proteins) and he wouldn't eat the foods that were HPP . He's on RadCat lamb.

So basically, she just needs to proceed with caution and be very aware of what she's doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts