Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the moment my boys are transitioning off dry food, they came to me on Hills and whatever is in it, feeding all dry food just does not seem right to me even though they recommended all dry, dry only no meat nothing else.. I was pffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt :fust cats are meat eaters! turns out im not the only one who thinks like this haha!
ANYWAY back on topic, I feed them three meals a day (a small amount of dry for breakfast, a combo of dry and canned right after work and a small amount of dry right before bed) So for their afternoon meal i am changing to all canned plus some meat chunks and soon I will be replacing all dry with canned... i am moving slowly so they dont get too upset they have had a rough week moving here and being quite sick with colds. I got some really cheap diced mutton and although they dont eat much, they do eat a nice chunk each with gusto! So thats a good sign they will like raw for sure :D

I have just learned that I shouldnt be feeding raw so close to dry so I'll have to keep that in mind...

but my question is when moved to purely raw is three meals enough? And how much should I be feeding them?
I dont know their weights but they are both around 6 months old, and I obviously cant go with the suggestions on the dry food bag!

I know there are many links in this forum.. and i have read a few of the sites but sometimes i like to get my advice directly from people

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I am sure you'll get lots of good advice - these are just some basic guidelines!

While your guys are little (under a year old) three meals a day is great. Figure a portion the size of a mouse (more or less an ounce) is a perfect amount. As your kitties approach full-grown they may need a little less food, especially if they become less active as they outgrow kitten-hood. Moving to two meals a day is usually fine for adults.

You'll be able to tell if your cat(s) are ravenous - obviously you can give them more, and if they get really chubby, cut back a little :).

Fran

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fran!

I just have to add that I just checked out my local supermarket that sells pet meat and brought home some minced chicken with bones in and 'chunky style' minced roo meat. Just wanted to check these are ok before letting the boys at em!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are a couple who work full time with one car between us... it is hard to balance more than three meals over an equal-ish time... can you suggest something you think might work?
At the moment they are fed first thing in the morning, after work around 5pm and then again at bedtime around 10pm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts