Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is raw meat OK for cats? Tiggy is an outdoor cat so occasionally shes been known to catch the odd bird here & there which she usually eats (strange I know, cats normally just kill & leave the body in my experience) We worm her once every three months. So is 'human' meat OK if given raw?

I usually feed cooked lean beef mince or cooked chicken or some cooked cod as a treat to make a change from her usual tinned & dry complete foods, so is it OK to leave it raw or would this harm her?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Some people do have their pets on a BARF diet, I *think* a few members here do that, so I'm interested too in what they say when they catch this thread. I'd say if you wanted to, it's a good thing, but it would be best to do a search into feeding raw food first. I don't have the sites offhand, but you can find them easily. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my mom gives her cats raw hamburger meat all the time. It's supposed to be healthier than cooking out all the fat or soething. Her cats love it, and they are all in very good health. i don't do it though, it kinda grosses me out. 8O

·
Registered
12 Posts
TiggysMum said:
Is raw meat OK for cats? ... So is 'human' meat OK if given raw? ...I usually feed cooked lean beef mince or cooked chicken or some cooked cod as a treat to make a change from her usual tinned & dry complete foods, so is it OK to leave it raw or would this harm her?
Hi,

Some folks on another forum asked similar questions on raw foods, and I had posted some replies to it. I'll take some of the info from those replies to put here...

Our two cats switched from eating super-premium dry and canned food (mainly Innova and Wellness) to frozen pre-made raw food (HomeMade4Life, Amore) in March of this year, and the improvement in their overall health and appearance has been remarkable. (Also, on the advice of our holistic vet, we also add acidophilus and digestive multi-enzyme capsule supplements to their food.)

General comments about raw food:
Feeding raw (aka: 'barf' - bones and raw food, natural rearing, etc.) -- whether homemade or pre-made -- is fine for many cats provided the food is properly prepared and sensible precautions are taken when handling meat to significantly reduce the chance of salmonella poisoning and other possible contamination.

Furthermore, when considering raw foods (or any foods for that matter), do as much thorough research as you can. Google through the Internet, check out up-to-date raw food discussion forums, seek out relevant books, and consult vets familiar with raw foods. Also, be aware that you will encounter many dissenters to the idea of feeding fresh, wholesome food -- whether raw or cooked -- to pets, with the majority of dissenters being the largest pet food manufacturers. (surprise surprise)

Regarding frozen pre-made raw food:
Frozen pre-made raw food comes close to homemade raw, but not quite. Frozen pre-made food tends to lose nutrients over time in the freezer. The main thing pre-made food has going for it is convenience because there's little or no preparation involved. Of course, even though pre-made raw may still be lesser quality than homemade food, it's still considered a big improvement over dry/canned food, and this has been our experience with our two cats over the past few months. (NOTE: There are other types of pre-made food available besides frozen, e.g., freeze-dried/dehydrated food where you just add water before serving to your pets.)

Regarding homemade raw/cooked food:
Preparing fresh wholesome food from scratch -- whether for people or pets -- is considered by many to be the most nutritionally sound method. Most people buy quality human-grade chicken and turkey meats (or other meats) from their local reputable supermarket or local butcher shop. Some people prefer to buy the best meats possible for their pets as if they were buying it for themselves to eat, i.e., organic-grade meats (i.e., no drugs, growth hormones, etc.) derived from free-range animals. I'm no authority on homemade raw food, so I strongly suggest checking out forums like Rawpaws for its members' vast experience and tips on homemade raw food.

Some forums sites that have the latest info on homemade raw or cooked foods and recipes for cats include:
http://cats.about.com/od/homepreparedfood/
http://www.catnutrition.org/
http://www.holisticat.com/
http://www.listservice.net/wellpet/index.htm
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawPaws/ (NOTE: Rawpaws seems to be one of the most detailed and active raw feeding forum I've found so far. Also, Marnie (the moderator) has been feeding homemade raw food to her pets since 1972 with great success.)

Holistic vets familiar with raw foods:
http://www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html

Hope this helps,
- george

(note: corrected some typos)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I feed my cats a homemade raw diet and they're in great shape. Raw meat is a great treat if one isn't in for feedin all raw. A little bit raw meat is better than none :wink:

I would be careful with the fish though since it contains an enzyme that neutralizes the bodies ability to absorb a B-vitamin. A little big of raw fish once and a while won't hurt but don't give it to your cat every day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

I certainly wont be changing to an all-meat diet for Tiggy, we're just too busy for that and also we cant really afford it :? But she'll certainly get meaty treats quite often :D She eats wet food for main meals and has access to dry food & water throughout the day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
while she has only been home for 5 days, frankie is in full swing with raw - so far she has had fish, turkey, beef heart, and chicken with no problem :)

ive been raw feeding my dog for over 1.5 years, so its natural that the cat would be eating it as well.

in terms of groups - there are many more out there.
on yahoogroups, there are:

rawfeeding (mostly dog people, and a lonsdale group, but VERy active and much larger than any other group).
rawcat

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm tired so I'll make this brief.

In short yes, raw food is good for most cats and can be fed to them. BUT there are precautions.

Also, I would be more concerned about her eating birds then raw meat from your kitchen.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Raw meat has L-lysine

I've been supplementing my cats diets with raw turkey ever since I learned it is a source of L-lysine and I have cats with the herpes virus. If you start them as kittens, they love it. A lot of my adults who never had raw meat growing up, don't like it.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Wow, this is a lot of great information.

Has anyone here tried the freeze dried foods? I was considering supplementing their diet with the freeze dried meat varieties.

Also, is the meat in canned foods added in it's raw form, or is it cooked at all before putting it in the cans?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've tried the freeze dried

I tried the freeze dried food and they go nuts over it. I can't afford it because I have way too many cats. Sitstay.com has the best prices and selection of raw foods that I've seen. They carry the Nature's Variety brand which is super premium. Also, I love doing business with this company. When they ship frozen, it arrives frozen because they take the time to package it correctly. I like a company who prides itself in what it sells. Check them out. They carry frozen raw patties that have vitamins, minerals, fruits and vegetables included.

·
Banned
60 Posts
After reading this post, I'm going to start my 5 on raw food too. :D

There aren't any prepacked ones, so I might have to go for human-grade packed ones in the supermarket and supplement it with their own Felidae dry now.

But I'll read up more first...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Order on line

Order raw and freeze dried on line at Sitstay.com Very nice company to deal with and good prices. I've used the frozen patties that are complete with vitamins, minerals, etc. It's a case of food, but keeps well in the freezer and is easy to take out as many patties as you need for the day and leaving the rest in the freezer. I would take out what I needed for the next day, the night before. I'd leave it in the microwave to thaw and by morning most of it was thawed for their morning meal. If the meat felt too cold I'd microwave it for a few seconds to get it room temperature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
kim said:
...in terms of groups - there are many more out there.
on yahoogroups, there are:

rawfeeding (mostly dog people, and a lonsdale group, but VERy active and much larger than any other group).
rawcat
Having looked at this thread again, I thought I should mention that I have checked out the Rawfeeding and Rawcat forums, and although they may be larger and more active groups than some other forums, I find their stance of advocating a strict homemade raw food without supplements as the only "proper" food for pets a bit extreme.

Our holistic vet suggested pre-made raw food and two supplements for our cats and they are doing well from it.

So for now, I'll just stick with Rawpaws and the other forums. (Incidentally, it seems that some of the Rawpaws folks came from Rawcat.)

- george

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is also another good site to check out. www.felinefuture.com
They have some good articles on there as well.

Edit: Here's another good site I just found from a reputable DVM, Lisa Pierson. I think this is the recipe I will be following after I run out of my current batch. I like the idea of using fewer supplements for sure and she has some valid arguments for it. http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

·
Registered
247 Posts
I give my cats raw hb meat and ground turkey. I also give them a raw egg a couple of times a month. They know when they are getting eggs and will sit up almost like dogs and beg. I don't feed any raw fish thought. I don't feed anything that has fish in it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My cats are strange, most of them won't eat raw meat. Some of them won't even eat cooked meat. :roll: But I've seen tem eat peas and green beans. Spot loves chips and bread, I think that's why he's so chubby :)

Tuna and Sliced sandwich turkey are th eonly thing the all like.

Nikki, our old cat goes beserk over raw meats of any kind.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
ok, I just joined one of the yahoo groups "rawfeeding" and don't think I have the settings right.

I just checked my email and had 140 emails from the group!! I don't suppose there's any website set up similar to the cat forum that I can browse? I thought I had a setting that made it sound like I'd get one email linking to a larger amount of topics, rather than a single email for each topic.

Anyone...HELP!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts