Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I was first thinking about trying raw food with my cats I looked at a few of these kinds of raw food premixes. There are other kinds out there as well, like TCfeline or Better in the Raw. I was originally going to buy my own supplements using the recipe on catinfo.org, before I came across the concept of prey model. It all seemed very overwhelming to me at first but it really isn't that complicated to make your own pet food.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've looked at the premixes a few times but the pricetag always turns me off. I find it's cheaper or comparative to just buy commercial raw and much cheaper if you can make your own.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i just spent that last 2 hours today making 28 pounds of raw and thats with clean up time. most of that 2 hours was prepping the chicken for the grinder.

14lbs of chicken
7lbs of turkey
7lbs of rabbit

the rabbit and turkey i got off haretoday and all i had to do with it was put it in a big bowl, get the wet mix (water + supplements) and add it to the bowl and mix it all together. then i put them in containers and put it in the freezer.

i think that's about as easy as making the wild mix and prob cheaper since the supplements i bought will last many many batches.

i was pretty much forced to make it today since i ran out of raw and they wouldn't eat the back up canned food. once they got a taste of that raw they dont want anything else.

oh btw your bengal looks super cute! i just got two bengal kittens. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I once used the premix + ground meat from Whole Foods Market. Although my cats loved the food, it was an expensive option so I quickly turned to home-made version.

Like j1n, I also use recipe from catinfo.org. It takes about 2-3 hours to make ~12lb food and then clean-up. It's a manageable task but my hubby sometimes complains about me spending too much time on cat food. :p

·
Registered
709 Posts
... but my hubby sometimes complains about me spending too much time on cat food. :p
Next time, ask him if he'd like to help to move things along a bit quicker. ;)

Or ask how long he thinks a snap of the finger makes HIS food too? You could always let him know the more he complains, the longer it will take to make HIS dinner. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts