Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the world of raw, and picked up some lovely organ meats yesterday. with just 2 kitties and feeding raw part time, 1.5 lbs of liver and kidney is gonna last me a while so i was thinking about ways to portion out the meat.

last night i made a mix of chopped up liver and kidney and portioned them out into ice cube trays, hoping to pop them out and place them in a baggie so i could just pull out the right amount when convenient.

however, this morning i found that the meat is stuck to the tray. maybe i need to freeze it longer? maybe i need to run some water on the other side?

any tips on how to use ice cube trays without sticking problems? or possibly other portioning tips?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Can I ask a stupid question? I will assume you said yes :)

Why are you chopping the organs up? Organ meats are soft and the cats can eat them with no problems. I would just ration them out into pieces of how many ounces you want each cat to eat and freeze them in ziplocs. Whenever you want to feed them, then you just defrost in the bag by either keeping it in the fridge or soaking them in warm water. It just seems much easier.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for pointing that out to me dweamgoil! lol i realized that as i was chopping them up but the thought didnt click...the kittens have just started raw and i was getting used to cutting up meat and heart for them in small pieces cause they are still working on their jaw strength, but the organ meats are much softer. glad to know i wont have to be chopping up these yucky organ meats in the future hehe.

i was considering the ziplocs but im trying to find ways to cut waste and space. i was thinking if i could just freeze chunks and put them all in one ziploc it would take up less space and take less bags.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Maybe buy some reusable tupperware containers? They come in so many different sizes so you might be able to find some that're small enough to solve your space issues while still fitting the food you need.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds like a great idea saitenyo :) i will have to give that a try.

now to figure out what to do with 2 ice cube trays with organs stuck in them lol

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I tore off small strips of saran wrap(cling wrap) and then wrapped the organs in that. Kind of like rolled them up and then tossed all the little premeasured/prewrapped bundles into a ziplock bag in the freezer (that was marked) so I could just grab a little bundle and go. I wrapped all my separate pieces like that so I could mix and match his meals.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I tore off small strips of saran wrap(cling wrap) and then wrapped the organs in that. Kind of like rolled them up and then tossed all the little premeasured/prewrapped bundles into a ziplock bag in the freezer (that was marked) so I could just grab a little bundle and go. I wrapped all my separate pieces like that so I could mix and match his meals.
for some very odd reason, when you mentioned saran wrap, I imagined them frozen looking like wrapped candy with the twists on each side.. or ground meat stuffed in sausage casings.. I must need a nap:wink

I got little plastic storage containers with snap on lids from the dollar tree. there was 10 or so in the bag and they hold just over 2 ounces each.. maybe look there? I just toss em all in a big freezer bag. had to go look they are called Sure Fresh, mini containers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hope its ok jumping in as I am new on here but I bought some kids plastic jelly moulds with lids and use them to portion out my cats raw food. I've colour coded them for what meat etc is in each one so easy and quick to grab from the freezer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok! I think it just needed to be frozen for longer, and I ran the tap on the other side and they popped right out. Yay!

Thanks for all ur storage suggestions, I love hearing about what everyone else is doing :)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I use ice cube trays too, and it is a hassle getting the cubes out - but the portions come out sized just right for a meal. I can store a whole tray's worth in one medium sized Tupperware container.

I just started using silicone ice cube trays from Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't care for the trays much, they are sort of wierd and floppy (I can't imagine trying to make ice in them, they'd spill everywhere). The squares are a little smaller than the old-fashioned plastic trays, but the frozen cubes are much much easier to pop out.

Fran

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe buy some reusable tupperware containers? They come in so many different sizes so you might be able to find some that're small enough to solve your space issues while still fitting the food you need.
This is exactly what I have done. I got a little ambitious one day, and this was the result...

The label translation: "Chicken thigh (medium sized chunks), 1 quarter chicken neck, veal kidney, chicken liver, Natural Balance Venison canned mixed with rabbit."

This was incredibly tedious and I don't want to do it again, but it's been helpful! I'm new to raw too, so I try to give Krystal meat, bone, liver, and other organ daily until I'm more comfortable.

I also got a great meat cleaver from Amazon, and it can cut right through frozen food. I can just take a hunk of frozen whatever-meat, and then chop off what I need, and stick it back in the freezer.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sunkissedtoes, i love your raw food stash and your labels!

right now i'm keeping cut up chicken breast in containers like that, and i have a bag full of individually frozen chicken hearts. now i have a bagful of pork liver-and-kidney cubes. i also have some frozen quail but i haven't figured out how to serve that yet.

i like that you are giving them a balanced meal everyday! i am doing part time raw so i'm hoping my guestimations to a balanced diet will be corrected by the supplements in their canned food..

i need to invest in a meat cleaver i think.. before the kittens i don't think i handled meat nearly this much in our own cooking lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
sunkissedtoes, i love your raw food stash and your labels!

right now i'm keeping cut up chicken breast in containers like that, and i have a bag full of individually frozen chicken hearts. now i have a bagful of pork liver-and-kidney cubes. i also have some frozen quail but i haven't figured out how to serve that yet.

i like that you are giving them a balanced meal everyday! i am doing part time raw so i'm hoping my guestimations to a balanced diet will be corrected by the supplements in their canned food..

i need to invest in a meat cleaver i think.. before the kittens i don't think i handled meat nearly this much in our own cooking lol
Thank you!! I was in the kitchen for hours that day, lol. I'm still unsure about the ratios since I'm also doing a blend of canned and raw. I tried to reduce the canned, but Krystal can't stomach that much raw yet. Your cats are transitioning much more easily than Krystal is, so I'm slightly jealous. :wink

And I love my meat cleaver! I've never owned one before. This is the cleaver I got:

Amazon.com: J.A. Henckels International Classic Stainless-Steel Meat Cleaver: Kitchen & Dining

Pricey, but I'm telling you, it has made a huge difference in my ability to chop meat, bones, all that stuff!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I use ice cube trays also, and when I freeze liver in them, I add a small cap full of bottled water to each cube. It will help loosen them up when you crack the frozen trays. The water is good for them too. :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I like all your guys' ideas, it's really neat to see the creativity at work :D

I'm fortunate that I only have to prepare a "frankenprey" meal for my three cats once per day because their other two meals are a one-day-old chick. "Frankenprey" is a lot of work but feeding whole prey is ridiculously handy :D And also super cheap! We get them from a zoo supplier for 5 cents each.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use ice cube trays also, and when I freeze liver in them, I add a small cap full of bottled water to each cube. It will help loosen them up when you crack the frozen trays. The water is good for them too. :)
this is a wonderful suggestion, i may try this in the future if i decide to stick with the ice cube tray method :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts