Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just asked me what I was going to do with the giblets I saved. I thought I would try to feed them to my cats. Ok or not?
When one of my cats first came to me, I was feeding her raw chicken (livers, gizzards wings) and also raw potions of whatever meat we were cooking up that night. We have gotten away from raw now. At that time I was told raw chicken bones were ok but not cooked. Is this true?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yes, raw bones are OK while cooked bones are quite dangerous.

As long as the gibets are fresh, I feed them to my boys. It's been quite a few days since Thanksgiving though. If they were leftover from Thursday, I'd probably toss them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My only worry about organ meat is how rich it is. I'm not sure how it works with cats who aren't used to raw, but it may give her diarrhea?

And yep - despite popular belief, it's the cooked bones that are dangerous, not the raw ones. (well.. technically speaking, raw bones can still be a choking hazard, but that's a given with bones of any kind)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
(well.. technically speaking, raw bones can still be a choking hazard, but that's a given with bones of any kind)
But more so with cooked bones as they splinter more. Raw bones, as long as they are chewed up by the cat are quite safe. If a bone gets TOO small, where they could try and gulp it down in one bite should be taken away.

Otherwise, I dont' see anymore chocking hazard in raw bones than in kibble.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I have a 2/2 rule:

If it isn't eaten in 2 hours, put it away or toss it.
If it isn't eaten in 2 days, freeze it or toss it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts