Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been two weeks. I learned some important things....

While chicken bones don't seem to bother his allergies a straight chicken diet sent him scratching like crazy.

This week we switched to chicken bones, beef meat and beef and/or pork liver and kidney. That lessened the scratching a lot and I think that will take care of the allergies.

I totally underestimated his meat this week and ran out of it on Thursday night. That means he ate his EVO 95% beef last night and twice today (grocery budget doesn't clock over until tomorrow). BIG difference in his personality. He's slow, lethargic and ...kind of dim... on the canned food. I hadn't realized how much he'd really perked up on the raw (also the litter box was pretty offensive today).

He still gets a very small handful of the EVO dry in the evenings. I put it in the puzzle toy that his Daddy bought him for Valentines day and it keeps him busy while I get ready for bed and settles in.

All in all, I'm *LOVING* this diet for him. It's even a little less expensive than the canned he was on and he's thriving on it. My SO was amazed the first feeding he was here for. I gave MowMOw his chicken bones and my guy watched in disbelief as MowMOw dragged it under the table (onto a towel I've put there for that reason) and growled while he chomped down his dinner. He's still talking about "The miniature tiger" living in my apartment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So exciting to have another raw feeder to talk too. :)

My crew have been eating raw since they came home (7 years ago).

So happy that things are going well for you and your little one! :)

·
Banned
952 Posts

...BIG difference in his personality. He's slow, lethargic and ...kind of dim... on the canned food. I hadn't realized how much he'd really perked up on the raw (also the litter box was pretty offensive today).

He still gets a very small handful of the EVO dry in the evenings. I put it in the puzzle toy that his Daddy bought him for Valentines day and it keeps him busy while I get ready for bed and settles in...
Yeah, MowMow, it's that comparison between the two that drives home the hard truth that commercially-prepared cat foods are not the wonderfully healthy diets so many believe - and all of us wish - they were.

AC

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
About the litter box smell/whatever else you have to deal with in there, doesn't that often happen when a cat or dog switches to a different diet without a period of adjustment? It can take time for their body to switch over to digest the new food correctly, you're supposed to introduce it gradually.

·
Banned
952 Posts
About the litter box smell/whatever else you have to deal with in there, doesn't that often happen when a cat or dog switches to a different diet without a period of adjustment? It can take time for their body to switch over to digest the new food correctly, you're supposed to introduce it gradually.
Generally-speaking, this applies to only commercially-produced foods and mostly to kibble (which is a totally inappropriate "food" for an obligate carnivore). The cat evolved to eat raw meat, so no adjustments are necessary to digest it. And since the cat is uniquely and ever so beautifully designed to process their natural prey diet, there is very little left over to be eliminated, which is why raw fed cats only poo every other day or so and the poo has only minimal odor. :wink

AC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Generally-speaking, this applies to only commercially-produced foods and mostly to kibble (which is a totally inappropriate "food" for an obligate carnivore). The cat evolved to eat raw meat, so no adjustments are necessary to digest it. And since the cat is uniquely and ever so beautifully designed to process their natural prey diet, there is very little left over to be eliminated, which is why raw fed cats only poo every other day or so and the poo has only minimal odor. :wink

AC
Exactly one of the reasons I LOVE the raw diet.

Same thing happens with my German Shepherd - grape sized poops once a day. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The lack of litterbox smell (and I mean total lack whatsoever!) was what really won my boyfriend over to the raw diet. He now rants and raves about how amazing this diet is to all our friends and family, because he just loves that the condo no longer smells like cat poo ever. XD

Hey MowMow, what sort of chicken bones are you feeding? I really want to start giving my cats some, since they're on premade raw and not getting the dental benefits of unground bone. I just can't decide what to start with. Apollo's kind of clumsy with his food and Athena is a very small cat, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of bones would be easiest. So far I've found ribs, legs, and necks (I'm still looking for wings) but I keep worrying they might be too big.

Also, how much luck do you have containing Mow when he eats bones/large chunks? Apollo has tried to drag his food under the bed or across the house every time I try to feed him anything other than dime-sized pieces of chopped up meat.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I buy the chicken wings and cut them into 4 sections. I cut the drumette and tip off first. Then I take the middle section and cut it down the center splitting it between the two bones.

When he first started I only gave him the tips (and made buffalo wings for myself with the rest :p ). I even cut the tips in half to make it easier for him, but now he doesn't need that. Then he worked up to the middle section, split between the two bones as well as the tip.

I don't know that he'll ever get the drumette part... it's just more bone than he needs. I toss them into a ziploc bag and will make soup with them when I get enough. (I know, I'm really cheap).

Yes, he drags the food out of his bowl but he always carries it to the same place, under the dining room table. Before I feed him I spread out a beach towel under the table :p and he eats on that. The idea of raw chicken juice on my carpet is.... blech.

Someone else posted a similar but I couldn't find it. Here's a picture labeling which parts I'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That picture is very helpful, thank you! Do you have to use any special kind of knife to cut through the bone? I'm a vegetarian so I have almost zero meat preparation experience.

Last time I tried to cut meat off a drumstick for my cats I ended up cutting my finger. :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
Saitenyo, I much prefer using a poultry shears. It is much easier to cut meat with them vs. using a knife. At least it is for me and it means I don't have to worry about cuitting my finger with the knife. I've cut myself with a knife once while cutting up meat and don't want to go through that again!

This looks like the kind I have:

I had one that looks like this:

but as soon as I tried cutting apart whole chickens with it, the "lock" on it kept looking the shears constantly. Needless to say, that is very annoying!

·
Banned
952 Posts
Yeah, kitchen shears are a must for raw feeders. And, Saitenyo, you don't really cut the bone, you cut at the joints and between the bones.

Also, on a chicken, the only bones I feed my cats are the wings (minus the drumette) and the ribs. My cats are not keen on chicken necks (maybe because there's not enough meat to go with the bone or they're too hard to break apart?) and no other part of a regular chicken is small enough to feed my cats.

On the other hand, Cornish Hens and quail are small enough that the whole bird can be fed.

AC

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shears here as well. I use them to cut into the joints and just pull the wing apart into pieces. The only 'bone' I cut across would be if I cut the wing tip in half but I'm not even sure that's bone...it might just be cartilage because it was pretty soft. I'm no vegetarian by any means but I gotta tell ya...this grosses me out sometimes. Especially the organ meats. /shudder This cat is lucky I like him so much.

I'm still on the hunt for rabbits. I've called every Asian Market in town and NONE of them sell raw (not even frozen) meat of any kind. Seriously, if I could do the deed I would SO raise some out on my balcony.

·
Banned
952 Posts

I'm still on the hunt for rabbits. I've called every Asian Market in town and NONE of them sell raw (not even frozen) meat of any kind. Seriously, if I could do the deed I would SO raise some out on my balcony.
Is Hare-Today not an option for you, Krissy? As long as I order in bulk (between 45 - 50 pounds), it's fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ok, adding shears to my grocery list now! That does look much easier. After four years of art school, I am well-practiced with scissors! :)

And yeah, Mow, I sympathize. I don't actually have any asian markets in my area that aren't a significant drive away. On the plus side I did finally find a store that sells Nature's Variety Rabbit, so they get to try out some rabbit meat this week.

Thankfully their absolute favorite so far is chicken, so I'm sure they'll enjoy that as their supplemental homemade treats/bones.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I soooo need a pair of those shears!!

It's good to see an update on MowMow, and what the outcome of the chicken trials was. I'll be posting some info on our own trial sometime this week, I'm giving it a couple more days to really figure things out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts