Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: How long can wet food sit out?

My cat Gilligan hasn't been eating too well the last few days. He used to eat a 3oz can of wet food in the morning and another one at night. Which incidently my vet said wasn't enough (he's trying to determine if the loss of appetite is due to a medication he is on). Anyway, now he's eating less. At night, around 10pm, I'll put his food out. He'll take 2 or 3 bites and leave the rest. I noticed that when I get up on the morning the food is still there. By the time I get out of the shower, he's eaten most ot it. Is it bad for him to eat the wet food that has been sitting out all night?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Technically YES. It can grow bacteria on it and that's not good!
I think they say anything more than 30 minutes and it should go.

Though honestly, I put my wet food out and walk out of the house to go to work....I do come home and find it ALL gone...but I can't say for sure that's all consumed at one sitting.
:oops:

·
Registered
254 Posts
AddFran said:
Technically YES. It can grow bacteria on it and that's not good!
I think they say anything more than 30 minutes and it should go.

Though honestly, I put my wet food out and walk out of the house to go to work....I do come home and find it ALL gone...but I can't say for sure that's all consumed at one sitting.
:oops:
Hmm never heard of this. With all the cats we got just coming and going we've ALWAYS left it out. Sometimes it's gone right away, othertimes it sits but we have can & dry 24/7.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Fran is right. You might want to try Dr. Jean's method for getting them to eat 3 times a day, rather than nibbling. Give a tablespoonful in the morning; wait ten minutes; feed another tablespoonful; wait twenty minutes and then put down enough for the balance of what would be a whole feeding. It takes a while, but my cats made the change easily.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
What type of food are you feeding Gilligan? Maybe it isn't as palatable as other brands? You might want to try heating the food up just a touch to release more of the scent. Does your vet not want him to eat dry food? I just suggest the dry because it is higher in calories. I personally feed only wet, but if my cats were getting too thin I think I would start supplementing with dry. I hope Gilligan is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
NJOberheim said:
My cat Gilligan hasn't been eating too well the last few days. He used to eat a 3oz can of wet food in the morning and another one at night. Which incidently my vet said wasn't enough (he's trying to determine if the loss of appetite is due to a medication he is on). Anyway, now he's eating less. At night, around 10pm, I'll put his food out. He'll take 2 or 3 bites and leave the rest. I noticed that when I get up on the morning the food is still there. By the time I get out of the shower, he's eaten most ot it. Is it bad for him to eat the wet food that has been sitting out all night?
Do you think his medicine maybe makes his tummy hurt and he doesn't feel like eating when it's like that. Then maybe by morning he's feeling a little better and is hungry? Maybe it's the schedule that you need to change and not the food??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone that responded.

Addfran,

Shame on you! :) I always did the same thing with my cat Tiki that is now with my parents. Some cats just don't eat all their food as soon as you put it down.

Gilligan doesnt seem to be eating in the morning either now. He just takes 2 or three bites every time I put fresh food down. Its strange cause when I bring the food in, he meows and gets excited. Then I put it down and he eats those bites and thats it. I don't know how long he can go on like this. Im calling the DR tomorrow. Maybe there is something else wrong with him (not just the hyperthyroid or a reaction to the meds).

Jeanie,

Thanks! I might try that once Gilligan is eating again.

Queen,

He is on Fancy Feast. I just got him a little over a month ago and thats what his previous owners said was one of the only foods he would eat. He was eating fine at my house too but them stopped about a week ago. I tried giving him dry food, boiling up some chicken, baby food, a cat food called Figaro which my DR usually suggests for cats that are not eating cause for some reason they seem to go nuts for it. Nothing worked.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I only leave wet out for 20minutes and if he leaves any......it goes into the trash. I only feed him 1/4 can at a time so he is sure to eat it all within that time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Well, I called Gilligan's vet on friday and they told me to bring him in immediately.

They said he was probably dehydrated from not eating so they rehydrated him by injecting some fluids into him. They also gave him an appetite stimulant and took some blood, and told me to stop giving him the medicine for the hyperthyroid. They also gave me some of the appetite stimulants to give him twice a day and some antibiotics. His teeth are in really bad shape and need to be addressed but the dr was waiting until he could stabalize his thyroid condition. Since they were bleeding, he gave me the antibiotic. Oh, and he also did a chest xray.

He mentioned that when they took the blood out, it looked kinda yellow. The last blood test he had showed elevated enzymes in the liver but that was because of the hyperthyroid. The results should be available today so I'll get a better idea of whats going on.

I took him home and he slept the rest of the evening. At around 10pm he woke up ravaneous. He was going nuts meowing. I gave him a 3 oz can of food and he gobbled it up. I was so happy. The next morning I fed him and he ate but not all of it. Id say about 2/3. Basically he's been eating ever since but about the same quantity each feeding.

I cant help but wonder if his teeth are so uncomfortable to him that that is why he is not eating? Maybe the antibiotic is relieveing the pain in his mouth.

I am having a really tough time giving him the appetite stimulant pill. I actually stopped giving it to him yesterday. I dont want to stress him out anymore than necessary. He at least is still taking the antibiotic which is a liquid. I read somewhere that the appetite stimulant works 15 min after its given and only for about 15 minutes. If thats the case, then I don't see how it would hurt to skip doses if he seems to be eating. What do u guys think? I mean, it's not like antibiotics or other meds where you can't miss a dose. I could be wrong. im not sure.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
About the pill. Can it be opened and mixed with a tablespoonful of food? Then you could give him the rest of the food in 10 minutes.

If he's eating well, you'll have it--in case he needs it later. I hope all is well with the blood test.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeanie said:
About the pill. Can it be opened and mixed with a tablespoonful of food? Then you could give him the rest of the food in 10 minutes.

If he's eating well, you'll have it--in case he needs it later. I hope all is well with the blood test.
Hi Jeanie,

I tried your suggestion yesterday. I had bought a small jar of turkey baby food. I wanted to make sure he liked it before wasting a pill in it. I gave him a small teaspoon of the food. He lapped it up right away. I was relieved. I ran back out to the kitchen, and mixed a crushed pill with another teaspoon of the food. I came back into the room and put it down in front of him. He smelled it, looked at me as if to say, 'you think im that naive?', and walked away from the plate. :lol:

Like you said, im going to hold on to the rest of the pills in case he goes back to not eating at all. In the meantime, the vet is supposed to call me tongiht. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rich

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Oh, they're pros when it comes to a superior "cattitude"! I give worm medicine that way, but I try to give enough to hide the taste of the pill and not so much that the cat doesn't finish it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts