Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my eye on a rare gem. :-| Did you know Who Framed Roger Rabbit was based on a novel? I've placed an order at the library for Who Censored Roger Rabbit and it should arrive in a week!!! :party

The novel is a little darker than the movie,a satrical look at 1947 L.A.

It's 13 degrees, PURRFECT weather for snuggling up with a cat and a good book!

·
Registered
352 Posts
"The Last Farmer" by Howard Kohn

Story about his three generation family on a Saginaw Valley, Michigan farm up to the present time. I haven't read a book in awhile but this one was given to me when we were discussing my families ties to a farm.

The author decided not to continue the family tradition and instead sought a literary career...former editor of Rolling Stone magazine included, I thought it was well written and hard to put down.

Amazon.com: The Last Farmer: An American Memoir (9780803278158): Howard Kohn: Books

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I recently found the Lady Emily series by Tasha Alexander. The books are extremely well written and based in Victorian era England. The author interweaves her knowledge of history within the story to make the books educational as well interesting.

If you have watched Downtown Abbey I think you will like this series (I have read the first 2 books, and just purchased #3 yesterday. I can't wait until I have some time to read it).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who Censored Roger Rabbit came in today!

Jordi,what's your take on the 'Red Car conspiracy?' I've heard the Red Car's back! Youngstown had a 'trolley'- a bus with a dowtown route for years. Some even looked like the old trolley cars! When our transit funding was cut,the 'trolley' was discontinued. A couple years ago,night service and other routes that were cut came back-but not the 'trolley.'

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
My sister is a huge Jane Austin fan!

My tastes are different although I have read all of JA.

Anyone heard of Phil Rickman?

·
Registered
370 Posts
gee, it's a shame, i dont have time to read. and if i do, my eyes are closing, my brain is falling asleep :)
i am trying to finish "stress-free potty training" haha! last book i finished was about raising strong-willed child... :D now you can easliy figure out what I am dealing with :D

last normal books i read were in my native language, never transcribed to english, shame, because they are good books.

i am trying to start " the girl with the dragon tattoo". i loved the movie - the original swedish (I hated the american though) and i heard that books are even better. well, they are waiting in my night stand.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know of any really good mysteries? I'm a fan of cat cozies,and medieval mysteries.

btw Who Censored Roger Rabbit actually takes place in 1981,not post-war, L.A.

Roger has carrots shipped in from Illinois,and like in the movie, is married to Jessica.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mystery/religion; spirituality/romance/psychics/laughs

Sound intriguing? Check out Andrew Greeley's Irish series!

IRISH GOLD

IRISH LACE

IRISH WHISKEY

IRISH MIST

IRISH EYES

IRISH LOVE

IRISH LINEN

IRISH CREAM

IRISH TWEED

IRISH TIGER

Nuala Anne and Dermot are 2 of Greeley's most beloved characters.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Im reading Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote. He wrote Merles Door. Im on chapter 7 discussing history and current research on vaccinating. Good stuff! I read a review he questions spay & neutering! Has anyone else read the book? Id be interested in your thoughts on the "issues" he brings up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm currently reading Phantom by Susan Kay. I love anything Phantom of the Opera and just got my hands on this book.

I'm thinking Pride and Prejudice next? It's one of my favorite stories. I've seen several different versions of the film but never picked up the book and read it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished "The Art of Racing in The Rain" and thought it was excellent. The story is told from a dog's point of view. It left me looking at my three dogs, and my cat, and .... wondering.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good reccs,guys!

An author I've liked since the 80s is STILL going strong! Eric (Van) Lustbader wrote the 5 part Nicholas Linnear series,completed the late Robert Ludlum's Bourne series,and is doing a sci-fi-fantasy series.

In the Nicholas Linnear Ninja series,nothing IS AS IT SEEMS! ANYONE can be an assassin,or hold an ages old secret. He jumps around on the timeline,it will be modern America,then the post war orient.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reading The Stone Dance of the Chameleon by Ricardo Pinto. Awesome three-book sci/fi/fantasy series. Very bloody and gory in spots, but not gratuitously so. LOOOOONNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! But his writing is so beautiful and his ideas so odd and quirky that I read on. Entirely original.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The best book I've read recently was Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walter. Really interesting story that's kind of born out of the production of the Liz Taylor movie Cleopatra, oddly enough. The book even includes slightly more than a cameo by Richard Burton. But all that is just the backdrop for a very poignant, charming romance between the owner of an Italian village Inn, and an American actress (hence the connection to Cleopatra). It's also one of those stories that spans nearly an entire lifetime. The story is great, but the writing is even better. I just love books that read well, you know?

I'm currently trudging through Taliesin (Stephen Lawhead). I must admit I'm struggling to stick with it. I'm at that point where I'm too far in to quit, but really not sure I want to finish it. lol It's the first in a trilogy that supposedly sets up all the back story for Merlin and the Arthurian legends. Seemed so promising...

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I'm currently trudging through Taliesin (Stephen Lawhead). I must admit I'm struggling to stick with it. I'm at that point where I'm too far in to quit, but really not sure I want to finish it. lol It's the first in a trilogy that supposedly sets up all the back story for Merlin and the Arthurian legends. Seemed so promising...
Good luck. I was a teen when Lawhead's Dream Thief and his first Dragon trilogy came out and actually liked them (plus he was a Nebraska author at the time, which I thought was cool. He's long since moved to the UK.) I wanted so badly to like Taliesin, so I could complete the Merlin/Arthur series - just didn't make it. And I even kind of liked the characters in Taliesin, but the writing was so cumbersome...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts