Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say "veterinarian" because I don't know if they actually are.

On another forum (not cat related), I posted that I was annoyed because my vet's office refused to order PureVax rabies vaccine instead of their adjuvanted vaccine.

When I actually spoke to my vet, she was happy to order it. The office clerk was apparently clueless as to what I was talking about.

Anywho, this "veterinarian" on that forum says that my vet is the best person to decide what to use and I should follow their advice. I trust my veterinarian but why would I use a vaccine that could cause a tumor when an effective vaccine that is much safer is readily available?

She also posted that Iams and Hills are "excellent" pet food companies. At this point, I just gave up.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I thought it was relevant since it is health/nutrition related.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, a veterinarian is a health consultant for my animals - not a dictator. The ultimate responsibility for my animals' health care lies with me, which means that all decisions regarding their health care also lie with me. If I decide I want non-adjuvanted vaccines for my cats, then by golly, that's what they're going to have. But if my vet can provide me with legitimate, scientifically proven justifications for using adjuvanted vaccines, instead, I'll review the information with an open mind. THEN I'll make the final decision. The vet doesn't have to live (or die) with my decisions. My animals do.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the online "vet" sounds like a snobbish fool. i wouldn't trust him/her either. having a vet degree doesn't make this person perfect or all-knowing. they are there to help us make the right decisions for our cats, not dictate like laurief said.

heard a great quote recently that fits vets (actually ALL occupations), too:

"You know what they call the kid who graduate LAST in his/her class from medical school?"

answer: "Doctor!"

just keep that in mind next time someone says they KNOW what's best for your cat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think i remember reading on another post here some time back that vet schools don't really cover nutrition and that those food companies spend a lot of $$ marketing to vets and vet students, I wonder if the 'veterinarian' had any real nutritional training or had researched the best foods. People think that a degree or certification makes them experts in things other than what they studied as well. My cousin is a paramedic, but she knows more than the doctors do on everything health related (according to her)

At least my girls' vet has her own cats and doesn't push any food on us and approves of our grain free canned diet.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think many know much about nutrition.

My vet has never actually asked what I feed my kitty. I've never expressed any interest in what they sell so maybe that's why. I'm actually trying to decide if I want to switch her food yet again. I just did so not even 2 months ago but I think the food I'm looking at is better.

Someone else chimed in on the thread and reiterated what I had said including not to blindly follow veterinarians advice. The "veterinarian" isn't responding anymore. Hehe.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tina got the PureVax vaccine today without any trouble other than her wanting to eat the veterinarian like a lioness.

I asked what vaccine they were using beforehand just in case a mix up happened and it was PureVax. She said she was administering it in the right leg and I acknowledged I knew why. They seemed shocked that I knew so much. They oddly didn't charge me more than their Pfizer Defensor vaccine even though PureVax costs a few dollars more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I often have problems with my "veterinarians", as well. When my Candy was ill with lymphoma, the two vets at my clinic had a difference of opinion. One of the vets, Dr. Sonia, was very grim about the situation and told us that chemotherapy would not give her a good quality of life, and we would be best to end her suffering. The other vet, Dr. Mike, was strangely optimistic and said: "Of all the cancers she could have had, I'm glad she has this one!".....strange, right? He also said "Cats can live years with renal lymphoma on prednisone alone!". Which gave us a false sense of hope.

As you might imagine, we were in a tough situation. We based our decision on what Candy seemed like. My poor baby was deteriorating before my eyes. Both vets seemed to agree though, that chemo would only give her four more months...so we ended up sending her to the Rainbow Bridge, because I loved my baby too much to force her to stay. I know that she was going to go, and I didn't want to prolong her suffering any longer. She passed on April 23rd. I miss her very dearly. She was my best friend.

Since then, we've switched vet clinics for our other three kitties. Vets can be very frustrating, can't they?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Apparently I am also on that forum, as I remember the thread.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There are bad plumbers, bad lawyers, bad auto mechanics, bad physicians...and, yes, bad veterinarians. A professional license or certification is no foolproof guarantee of excellence. I also believe that competency and knowledge are inversely proportionate to bullying and dictating. If someone's good at his/her work, that person will really listen to and communicate with his/her clients. As competency reduces, a stubborn, blustery demeanor emerges.

Please find a better veterinarian...someone who'll explain his/her decisions to you, and someone who doesn't prescribe certain brand names simply because he/she has been inticed by manufacturers' commissions and rewards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts